Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Push Button Start How To

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
ATTENTION!!!!

DOING THIS MODIFICATION WILL REMOVE ALL ANTI-THEFT FEATURES OFF OF YOUR TRUCK AND IN DOING THIS MODIFICATION THIS WEBSITE AND OWNERS OF SAID WEBISTE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE THEFT OF YOUR VEHICLE!!!!

ANY POSTS NOT RELATED TO THIS MODIFICATION WILL BE DELETED BY ME. I WANT TO KEEP THIS EASY TO FOLLOW AS THIS WILL BE LINKED ON OTHER SITES AS WELL.

OK now that all the legal stuff is out of the way.... I am starting this thread to get the ball rolling on my push button start for the truck. There are a few things that will have to be done to it to be able to do this mod.

1. Your PATS system will have to be turned off!
2. The Wheel lock will have to be modified to do this mod.
3. There will be NO key used AFTER this mod. (If you would like to still use a key, this is NOT the mod you are looking for)
4. Your truck will be able to start at the push of a button, that means that anyone who can push a button can drive your truck. Keep that in mind if you are parking it anywhere you don't feel safe doing so.

Also keep in mind my truck is my toy and NOT a daily driver. Therefor I feel OK doing this mod.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Is it really straight forward, push a button, or is there "activiation switches"
Could be intresting to hop in and push a button and all systems are nominal.
Alas, plan on unpushing said button?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
This is the switch kit I am using...Obviously I am going to remove them from the panel and relocate to an area I see fit in the truck...

QCR-50-023.jpg

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Also is there ANY plan for ANY kind of theft detterent?
Even a simple battery disconnect switch or a not very obvious switch to provide power to the ignition button?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have been kicking around a battery disconnect, but since this is NOT a daily driver, and I will still have my keyless entry I am not too terribly concerned.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Thats what i was thinking, Randy.
Not a true disconnect, other wise your computer will have to relearn everytime you take the truck out.
Just a simple toggle to break the power in the hot side of the actual start button...
Wont take much of anything to wire it in and its just a bit more insurance.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Step one:

Play on the computer for about 6 hours trying to figure out how you are going to wire this thing in...Check!

Here is a drawing of what to do, and when I get it torn apart I will take some real life pics of what ends up happening...

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
As before double check amp draw on those wires your runnin through the switches, compare it to the rated capacity of the switches you plan on using.
Im an advocate for using relays for safety purposes...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah I am checking on that now. The switch kit comes in either 60a or 25a. I think I am going to go the 60a way...

I know you said your not worried about it but, I gotta agree with Don and Randy about the kill switch..

Just a little extra insurance is all...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I found a spot for the pushbutton. It will be hidden a little. I will take pics as I go.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Use your cigarette lighter as your pushbutton.
Would be pretty sweet and would be stealth like a freakin ninja!
If you want im sure i can come up with something for ya.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Use your cigarette lighter as your pushbutton.
Would be pretty sweet and would be stealth like a freakin ninja!
If you want im sure i can come up with something for ya.

That is exactly where I am putting it. LOL

My Acura is push button start

A lot of guys are using the S2000 button, but some have talked of the keyless type styles like yours.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Wouldnt be hard to do, get a little crafty with mounting it securely and your good to go. I thought it would be cool to turn one into a bass knob, then i saw Steve Meade did it a build he did. Totally took that idea from me, and claimed it for his own.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
LOL I am going to work on it today some more. Got to run to the parts store to get some stuff.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Parts store had to order some of the items I needed. Should be in tomorrow. I will load pics tomorrow as they are on my phone and I have my computer hook up at work for my phone.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts