Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Renewing driver's license...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anyone know if you can only renew your driver's license in the city/county of your permanent address, or can I renew at any DMV statewide? Mine is due up next Friday, and every time I call the DMV, it's busy. I spose I could look it up in their pdf though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thank ya much...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Just open a fresh box of cracker jacks and you'll prolly find another like the one you have...

haha

Seriously though probably at any DMV in the state, maybe even by mail if you haven't had any violations.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd imagine it is state wide.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Mail a license they make them right at the mva here and hand you your new one about a minute after they take tour mugshot.

Same here.

It does bother me, though, that future generations of new driver's won't get the joy of handing Officer Smokey their paper temporary license before the real one shows up in the mail...:wasntme:

(I must admit I'm rather awed at the notion of a DMV office in every county, too. I doubt we've got half as many offices as counties.)

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would say statewide. Here it is. You can't do it by mail here because you have to have a digital photo and show 6 things of identification which is a bit crazy. They did not find it funny when I asked if I had to pee in a cup.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
In Mississippi you can renew it online. Cost about $2 more, but was more convenient. They would just mail you a sticker to put on the back of your old license. If I remember right, every other time you did have to go to the DMV office to renew, though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info guys and gals...still couldn't get a hold of anyone, but I'll try again today. I just know NC can be a stickler on things like this...most all things vehicle have to be done in the city or county of your permanent addy.

For the record Aaron, you're probably not too far off with the state of my license...I still have the one that says I'm under 18, and it's all cracked to hell and missing chunks. It was a valid license to use, so why do I care if it says under 18, under 21 or if it has the green bar...I didn't, when I get ID'd just check the birthdate. I wasn't gonna pay $10 for something that still functioned just fine.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
So, how strict are they with inspecting vehicles in NC? I have a crack in the windshield of the truckster, but it is more in the middle to passenger side, so it does't disrupt my view. Hmmm, maybe it is this crack in the windshield that is keeping the overdrive from working... Haven't heard that excuse yet from the moron mechanic... By the way, I really got pissed thinking about wasting $1500 on the "repairs" yesterday afternoon, so I went home and posted bad reviews on yellowpages.com, some other business finder's website, his company's Facebook page and my FB page... Probably won't help any, but it made me feel a little better yesterday.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Depends on the shop you go to. If you go to a chain like Grease Monkey or some place like WalMart, they're by the book and will fail you quick. If you go to places like I go to, like little shops barely keeping their head above water, they won;t give you much trouble. Hell, when I first bought my Bronco, there was a 4" crack in my windshield, none of the lights worked, it smoked something firece and the horn didn't work...and I got passed.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
My mom was a good driver and for years had the benefit of renewing by mail until Ca had gone through so many different versions of their DL that they made every one go in and get a new one at renewal time.

She had gone through several hair styles and colors, lost a couple of height inches due to age and added a few lbs.

But hey at 71 if she still wanted to claim long brown hair, 5-3 110 lbs who was I to tell her any different, she's mom and everyone knows moms are always right...;) I carry a gun for a living and I was sure as hell was not gonna be the one on the other side of that a** whooping. I fear prison hardened gang bangers less then I fear her and I think that is the way she likes it.

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
So, how strict are they with inspecting vehicles in NC? I have a crack in the windshield of the truckster, but it is more in the middle to passenger side, so it does't disrupt my view. Hmmm, maybe it is this crack in the windshield that is keeping the overdrive from working... Haven't heard that excuse yet from the moron mechanic... By the way, I really got pissed thinking about wasting $1500 on the "repairs" yesterday afternoon, so I went home and posted bad reviews on yellowpages.com, some other business finder's website, his company's Facebook page and my FB page... Probably won't help any, but it made me feel a little better yesterday.

As long as it's not in the driver's side, a small shop will pass it.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

What year is it Steven?

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
^^^Depends on the shop you go to. If you go to a chain like Grease Monkey or some place like WalMart, they're by the book and will fail you quick. If you go to places like I go to, like little shops barely keeping their head above water, they won;t give you much trouble. Hell, when I first bought my Bronco, there was a 4" crack in my windshield, none of the lights worked, it smoked something firece and the horn didn't work...and I got passed.

Me likey those shops.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts