Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering Issue.. YAY..

Storm

Ugh I'm getting tired of fixing this front end..

I can't win for loose with this truck.. She's being a STUBBORN little craphead.. Well today while driving I noticed a clunk.. I can make it happen every time.. What I do is put my wheel straight and then I go either left or right a few inches and I feel this clunk through my feet and the floor.. I havent had a chance to climb under and watch while someone does it but I did inspect all my linkeage.. nothing is contacting anything.. But it feels like a bunch up kinda clunk.. Never did this before.. I noticed it few days ago when I was backing up.. Thought damn, my hubs are sticking.. But now its doing it period.. Only when I turn my wheels..

Any ideas?? 45k on the clock

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Does it in both directions? Check your tie rod ends. Does the steering wander at all or is it nice and tight? If you're noticing problems with the way the truck steers, such as not wanting to center itself after a turn, check your ball joints.

Storm

Its all fresh.. We replaced it few weeks ago after a massive screw up on Ford installing my lift kit.. All new Ties, Box, Drags, Pitman Arm..

It'll do it in both directions.. Only couple inches from Center when it goes "Thump".. Steering is normal, doesn't wander..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Does the steering wheel have feedback when it makes the thump noise? Is it hard to steer past it like there's a knot there or no effect? I guess what I'm getting at is, does it feel like the thumb is binding up the steering at all?

well, IMO, sounds like a lube issue. New parts don't always get the lube they need; trust me, I know.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I was wondering about the fact that you just had all those new parts put in... Did this noise start around the same time? If you've got greaseable tie rod ends I'd go around and shoot some grease in those guys and check your PS fluid level.

well, IMO, sounds like a lube issue. New parts don't always get the lube they need; trust me, I know.
he knows........KY doesn't get there as fast as desired.smilietease

forgive me Lord.

Storm

I did the work myself.. Everything got lube'd.. We are thinking its the Tractbar.. I put the Adjustable DR Panhard in for my lift and I got that thing as tight as I could.. It needs almost 400lb/ft of Torque.. I don't have that much in a Torque wrench.. So I'm going to bust the breaker bar out tonight and give it a shot..

This was present until few days ago.. Which leads me to believe the front just needs tightening.. Its been bout month or so since I fixed the front end.. Same principal with a lift kit.. Come back after 500-1000 miles and re tighten everything..

I was under the impression FORD re-did the front end after they "screwed up" your lift. sorry.
It's entirely possible something came loose, even a ball joint... Were the radius arm bushings done, too?

Storm

No.. FORD didn't... Mr Storm Walker did.. I bought all the parts and did the work myself!

BUT.. I know what happen..

When I installed the Donahoe Racing Adjustable Tractbar.. I didn't have instructions, no cell signal or a computer handy to look it up.. So we guessed.. Well what happen was I shoved it in the hole that's for a 6" Lift.. My Tractbar bracket has a hole for 6" Lift and 4.5" Lift.. After shoving it in there I tightened the locknut down as tight as I could.. Couldn't get a wrench over the nut (not the nut to the bracket, the nut on the rod that keeps it from rotating) because of the bracket.. So I said ok this should be fine.. Wrong.. I went out this evening, got under the truck.. Had my mum flip the wheel back and fourth.. Sure enough I hit that nut and that thing spun all the way up to the bushing.. Soon as I finger tightened it, the clunk went away..

So shes parked until Saturday when I have the tools and time to fix it.. So easy fix :) Nothing major.. I was planning to yank it anyways and put it in the right hole so I could tighten it properly lmao.. Leave it to Storm haha

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good work IDIOT!! :D

Hey you said you had your mom help you here... I had you pinned for a middle aged dude, are you younger like me? Or just a bum and still living with your mom? :D

Storm

Nah.. I'm 26.. I was at Mom's house tonight :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts