Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Door

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Neat..but nothing new.

The 1954/55 Kaiser Darrin's doors slide forward into the front fenders.

When all the way forward, only about 4 inches of the door is visable.

And...considering all the electronic glitches in new vehicles, I rather have a door that slides manually, then one that is subject to electrical gremlins.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just got the email from you about this Bob. That thing is incredible!! It amazes me that they're still able to keep the same amount of ground clearance.

Only problem is that I would imagine this mechanism could fail the same way a car window could. Except when a car window goes out you're just inconvenienced, if your DOOR goes out, you're TRAPPED!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It is interesting to see, for sure, and I'd love to take a close look at a car that was equipped with one.

Just like almost everything else, though, I'll stick with the tried and true on any vehicle I drive regularly.

That door has to go under you. Either you lose ground clearance or you loose headroom. Sure...its cool and definately different, but its not something I would want on something I really drive.

Is it really safe? Has the government tested it in crashes? I guess for a trailered show car it would be fine.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
That door has to go under you. You better make sure your shoe laces are tied, or you might be pulled under with the door!Either you lose ground clearance or you loose headroom. Sure...its cool and definately different, but its not something I would want on something I really drive.

Is it really safe? Has the government tested it in crashes? I guess for a trailered show car it would be fine.
Safe? If the Gov't investigated all the mods ppl did on their old rolling piles of misery, how many would be certified as safe. 10%?

My favorite is the "craftsman" who couldn't figure out how to turn his new welder on!

bobf100

Only problem is that I would imagine this mechanism could fail the same way a car window could. Except when a car window goes out you're just inconvenienced, if your DOOR goes out, you're TRAPPED!

That reminds me of a good friend of mine who has a 56 F100 panel truck with shaved door handles. It uses electronic door poppers to operate the door. He was working on something inside the vehicle long enough that the battery wore down so that it wouldn't open the doors or operate the electric windows. He spent a couple hours trapped in the truck until his wife came out to the garage to see where he was. She was able to pull the emergency backup cable draws hidden on the outside of the door to get him out. It's a funny story when he tells it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
LOL!! That's pretty funny. He should definitely install one of those emergency cables in the cab too... Although having one on the outside seems kind of... stupid? Would make it pretty easy for someone to break in...

bobf100

LOL!! That's pretty funny. He should definitely install one of those emergency cables in the cab too... Although having one on the outside seems kind of... stupid? Would make it pretty easy for someone to break in...

It's hidden and not easily noticed but the idea of shaving the door handles is not so much for security but more for looks. I was going to shave mine but he talked me out of it.

Safe? If the Gov't investigated all the mods ppl did on their old rolling piles of misery, how many would be certified as safe. 10%?

My favorite is the "craftsman" who couldn't figure out how to turn his new welder on!

People modding their own cars...they should be responsible for it.

This is a company which is a whole different ballgame.

The original inventors and designers of the exciting Disappearing Car Door technology are now in a position to equip your favorite automobile with our cool, sexy, safe and convenient automatic door or design an original vehicle body incorporating this unique technology.

They are not just making a one off product (if they sell any of them). This is a production. I would think the government steps in at some point.

People modding their own cars...they should be responsible for it.

This is a company which is a whole different ballgame.

They are not just making a one off product (if they sell any of them). This is a production. I would think the government steps in at some point.
The Government establishes regulations and standards, and it's up to the companies to follow them, and put their OWN TESTING PROCEDURES in place. The government doesn't DO testing of each and every vehicle model; only after consumer complaints or severe accident statistics do they see WHY a vehicle is having problems.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts