Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

inductive heating flash

blacksnapon

Staff member
I just got the chance to see for myself if the flash alone will "repair" a severe misfire on a 6.0. I got an 04 brought in "Runs very rough in the mornings". After sitting all night(temp went below 30) verified misfire on #4,#5,#8. Severe enough where there was no throttle. Performed flash, drove 10 miles, then sat until next morning(again nighttime temp around 30). Started, and runs perfect.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Interesting. Lately when mine's been sitting in the cold and I first start it, it runs rougher than a cob. I generally shut it down right after it lights off. After that, I start it again, and it starts smooth (but cold, of course. I let it warm up).

You suppose this flash would help?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Interesting. Lately when mine's been sitting in the cold and I first start it, it runs rougher than a cob. I generally shut it down right after it lights off. After that, I start it again, and it starts smooth (but cold, of course. I let it warm up).

You suppose this flash would help?

Gunner
As bad as that one was, I'd say yes!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Inductive heating flash is great...

Using 5W-40 motor oil is great...

Using both the inductive heating flash and 5W-40 is the best!!!!
The 5W-40 oil allows for quicker/smoother starts and flows so much quicker to allow better injector performance when cold.

Having inductive heating flash, synthetic oil and all the techs here at FTF... PRICELESS!!!!!smiliegitrdone

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
In a different thread, I posted my excellent oil analysis reports with 116,000 miles on my truck.

What was shocking, was that my fuel dilution went down... and this was through the winter months (Dec - March) where I was idleing more often.

I was wondering if the "inductive heating" flash was making for an easier, quicker and less "fuel dilution" start-up? I was wondering if the injector pistons were working more smoothly and not allowing fuel to get past the o-rings and into the "oil side" of the injector?

Any Ford techs have any input or working therories here???

I will say that over the past year, since getting the latest flash and the move to ULSD fuel, my mileage has dropped. In 2003 my hwy mileage was 21mpg at 70mph. Then it fell to 18mpg and then 17mpg. Now, in the winter no less, my highway mileage is 16mpg and my overall fuel economy is 14.5 - 15.0 (city/hwy).

This really hurts with the rising cost of diesel... but I am not sure if it is due to the re-flash, winter fuel, ULSD fuel, cold temps or what... or maybe a combination of all three? One thing is for sure from 2003 to 2008, my overall mileage has dropped big time!!!!!

However, for the longevity of the motor and injectors, I would still get the "inductive heating" flash done... for me this is more important than the fuel economy issue I am facing.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I would say the change in mileage would be more from the cold weather. The oil temperature is a major input for fuel usage.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I just got the chance to see for myself if the flash alone will "repair" a severe misfire on a 6.0. I got an 04 brought in "Runs very rough in the mornings". After sitting all night(temp went below 30) verified misfire on #4,#5,#8. Severe enough where there was no throttle. Performed flash, drove 10 miles, then sat until next morning(again nighttime temp around 30). Started, and runs perfect.

I have done the same thing I was very impressed myself.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Well when mine started running rough I got the inductinve heating flash done to it (as per Blacksnapons excellent advice :D ) and now when it's cold it starts like a champ. That did the trick

THANKS VINCE :)

Gunner

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Inductive flash, 5W-40 synthetic oil and anti-gel additive in the tank... and mine starts with nothing more than 1 puff of white smoke on the coldest days or nights!!

As does mine, Jeff. Over the years I had read the horror stories warning others not to get a re-flash.......of any kind. My truck has had two, the latest being the heat inductive flash, and I have not had any regrets. In my line of work, as I'm sure others are very similar, I can't plug my truck in during the day. After a day of sitting in cold temperatures my truck starts as good as any gasser thats parked there with me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts