Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Front reciever hitch

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I have two hitches laying in my garage, is there anything special about a front reciever hitch or would a rear one work. (I don't see why it wouldn't)

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about putting one front and rear, then save up and buy a winch that i can just slide into the front reciever when I go wheeling

Like this.. I know, it's a Chevy. but same setup
Winch_on_Front.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
The main trick is staying clear of everything to get it mounted. The one that someone put on one of the old man's 84's is welded on.

I would suggest bolting over welding any day of the week. You wouldn't trust welded tow hooks. Don't trust a welded hitch. Just my personal take on it. Given that you should be able to find a hitch to fit just about any frame width, I would think you could find one to fit.

Fellro

Staff member
Wasn't advocating welding it, just stating the fact that it is...

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah its a good idea if you can clear all the steering and such. I was thinkin about doin somethin similar but a come a long is way cheaper.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Are you planning on doing a 'hidden' front hitch so the receptical comes out of the bumper? If so, the winch may not have the clearance it needs...and if you use 'spacers' I'd worry about it getting flimsy.

Fellro

Staff member
Fellro, didn't mean to suggest that I thought you had. The idea just scared me a bit. Apologies
Whoever did it actually did a good job, and braced it well. There is also a chain hook welded on the 92 by the PO, and has held so far...Myself though, I prefer to have it bolt on somehow, I don't like to test integrity of things by welding to it unless necessary. I also like to keep things removable...

I will try to get you some pictures of the one I made for my 79 Bronco. I just used (I think) 3/8x6 flat plate and went to the local trailer supply store for the receiver tube.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Nope nothing special about them. You May have to modify the mount to match the frame is all.

Alright sweet..

I would suggest bolting over welding any day of the week. You wouldn't trust welded tow hooks. Don't trust a welded hitch. Just my personal take on it. Given that you should be able to find a hitch to fit just about any frame width, I would think you could find one to fit.
It will be bolted, without a doubt. I like being able to remove stuff.

Yeah its a good idea if you can clear all the steering and such. I was thinkin about doin somethin similar but a come a long is way cheaper.

I should be able to, I haven't taken measurements yet.. but I think I can.

Are you planning on doing a 'hidden' front hitch so the receptical comes out of the bumper? If so, the winch may not have the clearance it needs...and if you use 'spacers' I'd worry about it getting flimsy.

Nope, trying to come out right below the bumper. (the only thing, is I'm afriad my push bar is gonna be in the way then, as it sits RIGHT below the bumper)

Hopefully I can work around it. I don't wanna go lower than that, because I'll hit it on everything.

I will try to get you some pictures of the one I made for my 79 Bronco. I just used (I think) 3/8x6 flat plate and went to the local trailer supply store for the receiver tube.

Alright sweet.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I know what that's like.

I need to get out there and see if it will fit, but with snow on the ground... it's not that important.

Ok, got the pictures into my gallery hope I did that right. The measurements of the steel plate I used are 1/2"x34"x6" the receiver tube is 8" long. I also welded a 3/8" thick x1" tall stiffener on the top that you cannot see. The tow hooks are stock 97 or 98 F-150,bolted through the factory holes in the frame with grade 8 hardware do not remember the size though, want to say 1/2". I had the bronco in a hole sitting on the tailgate and my buddy had to get a running start to snatch it out several times I mean 40 foot of strap running start. The thing never moved and yes I had the frame checked afterwards nothing moved. Very stout piece.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts