Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sluggish Shoulder Seat Belt Retracter

Searched gen 10, surprisingly no hits on seat belt. The shoulder belt won't retract all the way and the belt keeps getting shut in the door. This is very annoying-anyone else experience this and have a solution?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yep, and I aleviated the issue by not wearing mine! LOL oh and blowing the motor. I havent had to worry about the seatbelt issue in over a year...

But seriously I do have the same issue, but in terms of issues with the truck, right now it was not very high on the list of things to screw with.

Let me know what you come up with

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I found that on non retracting seatbelts the best thing to do is try to feed it back in enough to get it out of the door way. No real solution, though.

Sluggish Seatbelt Repaired

Searched gen 10, surprisingly no hits on seat belt. The shoulder belt won't retract all the way and the belt keeps getting shut in the door. This is very annoying-anyone else experience this and have a solution?

The mechanism is located inside the back of the seat. You must take side of seat plastics off and rear of seat plastics off and the little cover where the belt comes out off. The mechanism in there is held together by get this!! plastic welded little cage. On mine the plastic in one corner had come unwelded, so when you pull seatbelt out it gets askew in the reel. Just epoxy it or strengthen the cage at the corners. I epoxied mine. works pretty fair. Much better than it did. Also anyone with weak doorlocks can be fixed for nothing if you disassemble yourself. other articles about this found at forums.

Hope this helps!! smilieFordlogo

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The mechanism is located inside the back of the seat. You must take side of seat plastics off and rear of seat plastics off and the little cover where the belt comes out off. The mechanism in there is held together by get this!! plastic welded little cage. On mine the plastic in one corner had come unwelded, so when you pull seatbelt out it gets askew in the reel. Just epoxy it or strengthen the cage at the corners. I epoxied mine. works pretty fair. Much better than it did. Also anyone with weak doorlocks can be fixed for nothing if you disassemble yourself. other articles about this found at forums.

Hope this helps!! smilieFordlogo

Great first post, Handyman! Welcome to FTF! smilieFordlogo

Ryan

Great first post, Handyman! Welcome to FTF!
Ryan
x2 both of you! :)

It's cool to have at least a little bit of a tinkerer added on here.

"replace it" -professional mechanic

"yeah, like hell, where's the challenge in that?" -tinkering fool :)

Was hoping to read about taking the mechanism apart, cleaning
it, spraying it with dry Teflon lube ...or something like that.

I've done something similar to that to the '75 F150 'bout ever' 10
years or so. ;)

"glue it back together" works too. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts