Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

TSb for Power Streering Issues

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Saw the below TSB for powe-steering issues and see where is mentions a filter (temporary at that) and was wondering if someone could post the actual TSB and any pictures showing which hose/line the filter is put into??

Seems like the use of a full-time filter would be advisable... but temporary is better than none?

What is the part number for this filter???

Here is the TSB:
2003-07 trucks grabbing brakes, pedal kickback:
This may be caused by power steering fluid contamination in the hydroboost system. There is a procedure for installing a temporary filter between the power steering pump and cooler to clean the system. After the cleaning procedure is complete and no brake grabbing or excessive steering effort is felt, remove and discard the filter. If brake grabbing continues, replace the hydroboost unit. Filter P/N XC3Z-7B155-BA; TSB# 99-25-8, 7-11-10

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
here you go ,Jeff

TSB
07-11-10 BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING

Publication Date: May 23, 2007

FORD: 1997-2007 E-Series
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion

This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost® brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION:
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost® are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.
Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).
Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
FILTERING PROCEDURE

CAUTION: BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.
Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
NOTE: DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.
With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost® brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XC3Z-7B155-BA Power Steering Fluid Filter Asy
5C7Z-2005-B Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion
6C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty
7C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2008 F-Super Duty
F7UZ-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1997-1998 E-Series
XC2Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2001 E-Series
6C2Z-2005-AB Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2002-2007 E-Seres

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thank you Vince.

What is the part number of the filter?

Can the filter be left in-line or does it create a pressure or flow problem? What if I use one filter to clean out any junk and then replace it with a new one and leave this second one installed full-time?

Do I run the risk of clogging the filter and loosing brake and steering control? Have you doen this TSB with any success?

I flushed my system with clean ATF fluid by sucking out 1 QT at a time and replacing it every day for 4 days (driving of course each day). Any sediment did not get filtered out but at least the fluid was changed out.

Any thoughts????

Thanks,

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
TSB
07-11-10 BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING

Publication Date: May 23, 2007

FORD: 1997-2007 E-Series
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion

This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost® brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION:
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost® are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.
Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).
Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
FILTERING PROCEDURE

CAUTION: BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.
Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
NOTE: DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.
With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost® brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XC3Z-7B155-BA Power Steering Fluid Filter Asy
5C7Z-2005-B Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion
6C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty
7C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2008 F-Super Duty
F7UZ-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1997-1998 E-Series
XC2Z-2005-AA Hydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2001 E-Series
6C2Z-2005-AB Hydro-Boost® Asy - 2002-2007 E-Seres

Ok that has some of the "symptoms" of my truck. It has developed a front vibe that I can't pin down, and when I hit the brakes it tends to pull to the left. Would this be some symptoms of needing this filter kit, and, if so, can I get this done under warrenty?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
xc3z-7b155-ba is the part number for the filter. They do want you to use it only temporarily because of the pressure involved "DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN FIVE SECONDS". The filter wont handle the pressures in the system for very long. As long as you are diligent about keeping your fluid clean by flushing it, you should be fine.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Crap........was hoping it would be under the extended warrenty.....

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings

Kep4

Jäger
I changed out the PS fluid on mine this afternoon. Just took the lines off of the cooler and then sawed the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and the wheels raised. Got about 2 quarts of fluid out of it. When the reservoir was almost empty I added Mobil 1 ATF and continued until clean looking fluid came out.

After the cooler drained I cleaned the ends off and tried to blow through it but there was alot of resistance so I blew it out with compressed air. Didn't see anything come out that could have caused blockage but it was real easy to blow air through after that.

After installing the cooler I topped off the reservoir and sawed the steering whell back and forth several times. Took it for a drive after that with some lock-to-lock turns and all seems fine. It seems to steer more easily but that's probably just the 'halo effect' after replacing the factory fluid...

There is a screen in the bottom of the PS fluid reservoir, it appears to be a fine mesh stainless, very similar to the in-pan transmission screen/filter. Guess you would have to remove the reservior to clean it. Mine had some very small pieces of debris but not enough to warrant removal and cleaning, IMO.

How much time /or miles we talking about on the PS fluid here.

Kep4

Jäger
My truck is 2 1/5 years old with 38K.

I changed it because the fluid seemed to be overheating and spitting past the o-ring in the cap, it also smelled burnt.

I have check the level from time to time, never had any problems with PS on any of my trucks, but this is my frist f250 4x4 diesel I have to check it.

The only time I ever had a problem was in 72 on my 65 ford, hose started leaking and start to smoking like it was on fire. streeeing was hard for next 100 mile till made back to the base.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts