Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No rear bumper?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
So basically, my question is, do you think I'll get pulled over/hassled about no rear bumper on my Bronco?

For those of you who don't know the story, I kinda screwed it up a few days ago while out wheelin' and it looks like crap. This won't be a permanent thing, hopefully less than a few weeks... but I don't feel like getting bothered.

On a side note, I know a lot of the city police, and a few county (my cousin is the chief deputy) so it's not as likely I would get bothered, but still don't feel like getting pulled over. and especially if I go anywhere besides around here.:headbang: What's ya'll opinions?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Just leave it on till you get a new one. who cares if its messed up, at leasts its legal. look at how I ran the front bumper on my mountaineer for months:

SNC00032-1.jpg

Yes, that is the actual all the bumper is that hides under the bumper cover. pretty beefy huh? its plastic with Styrofoam in it.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I do, I can't run my cb antenna or anything, because it was mounted to my bumper. Plus, it looks cool without one (I'm still replacing it though, don't worry)

120810174017.jpg

What I broke...
120810173913.jpg

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Plus, what i forgot to add... the tailgate hits the bumper, when i let it down. so if I did put it back on, I'll have to back into something and straighten it at least a little bit.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
sledgehammer.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't think you'd get hasseled so much for not having a bumper as much as you would for having an exposed gas tank. I say take a half hour and pund it out as best as you can and leave it on there.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I wouldn't worry about it. I've been cruising around without a bed or a bumper.

I've been pulled over, but just asked how the project was going. (I know too many of the occifers. :D)

Like my grandfather always says: Don't give them a reason to pull you over!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Cough cough...an exposed fuel cell is a valid reason.

What's next? Are you going to tell me that tying my filler necks down to the frame with a coat hanger is illegal too? :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Of course it is, because fuel cells just by them selves are illegal. :D

I think it's safety related when installed on a vehicle, because where the Bronco's fuel tank sits, it's in an awfully precarious spot in the case of getting rear ended.. That's hawked pretty heavily in NC, especially if you have a taller or lifted vehicle. IIRC, TN has similar concerns.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
you didnt understand me. FUEL CELLS are illegal for road use, not DOT certified.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ooooooooooh...gotcha now. Yeah, I blew right by that one.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Alot of customizers have body panels made where the bumper goes. In other words there's no bumper there.

didn't think about that... but it's still a "bumper" I guess?

I don't think you'd get hasseled so much for not having a bumper as much as you would for having an exposed gas tank. I say take a half hour and pund it out as best as you can and leave it on there.

It's tweaked pretty bad, but not horrible. Do you know where i can get brackets? Checked JBG, with no luck.

I can't drive it right now anyway.... fixing to make a thread on why.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If it's a factory bumper, I've been known to straighten them on the truck with a big (24" or 30") pipe wrench. Be gentle, because it'll want to tear the bumper, but IMO it's better than using the sledge.

*As far as legal stuff...am I right in thinking your rear plate gets mounted to the bumper? That'd guaranteed get you pulled over around here.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
If it's a factory bumper, I've been known to straighten them on the truck with a big (24" or 30") pipe wrench. Be gentle, because it'll want to tear the bumper, but IMO it's better than using the sledge.

*As far as legal stuff...am I right in thinking your rear plate gets mounted to the bumper? That'd guaranteed get you pulled over around here.

I'll see what I can do with it, I can hopefully straighten it easier off the truck, so I'll try that.. and if not I'll put it back on and try again.

and yep, plates go on the rear bumper, but I just stick it in the backglass. I lost a bolt that holds it, and didn't have time to mess with it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts