Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 5.4 Either spit a plug or came loose......HELP?!?!?

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Well, tonight I made the trip from Wichita to Lindsborg perfectly fine, truck acted completely normal, if not better than it had been. Go over to my friends for a bit, than back to my place. On the way back, bout a block or two away, the dreaded no spark plug in a hole compression loss sound and fuel smell from the unburnt fuel in cylinder #3 on passenger side. Doesn't look like it pulled any threads, yet trying to put a new spark plug in, it turns about one turn than resistance like it's bottomed out, but it at least started I guess. Also the plugs gap on that cylinder is completely wrong, as if something collided with it. It was 43 degrees in Wichita and 33 degrees here when it happened. Any insight as to a solution? Here's a picture....

SparkPlug.jpg

BTW, the engineer that designed this engine, I'd like to have a few words with. PITA to work on.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
looks like you got more issues than even just a plug popping out... that plug on the left has damage looks like from something hitting it.. sounds like time to tear it down and find out..

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Kinda what we thought when we looked at it, but there are no markings on it to show it got hit by something as far as metal impacting metal, and there wasn't really any sound of say a dropped valve or something flying around in there, but course I don't like the design of these engines, so anythings possible, here's the picture:
SparkPlug2.jpg

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Well, it limped on the trailer, and limped off at the dealership. Guess fix it and don't drive it much n trade it off as my brother suggested and get out of it before it costs me more down the road, as far as what I go for, it won't be Ford but just don't wanna wind up with this trouble modulars have again.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Don't dump it cause of the head. When the plug came out it ptobably smacked the fuel rail. Coil is probably broke as well. Gimme a call if you want some advice.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Luckily it didn't screw up the fuel rail or the coil on plug as far as breaking the tab or the rubber, but guess we'll see the fix, just glad I wasn't on interstate or down here with it. Just guess after having one go, the fear the rest will soon come as well is my fear. Just hope it doesn't need more than a helicoil, otherwise it'll be sitting for a while. I'll call ya if I need advice Doc

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
no problem!

So, what is the deal with with the spark plug issue. unless your a russian babooska and you tighten the heck out of them, you should be fine,OH WAIT ITS A FORD. i have read some other stuff about their being only three or so threads in the bottom. that sounds like a sweet idea, not. you have what, like 13 threads on a friggin spark plug lets just leave 10 there to do nothing. oh well, sounds like lots of fords genus engineering, they probably thought about the y block. I have been to machining school, and yes, i know that it is said that the first three threads are all that you need for max strength and the rest are just there in-case, but this is aluminum. come on. its typical ford, lets just change things every 6 weeks because its fun. Sounds like ford needs to learn how to machine some heads. How safe would you feel if your lug nuts were only 3 threads wide? why would you push the minimum, let alone on an aluminum head, were else are they doing this crap. maybe the only reason they didn't take any bail out money is because they don't have any REAL machinists, CNC operators, or engineers to pay. They would rather just pay some f sticks cheaply to screw stuff up.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I know as far as my engineering classes thus far, failure on a large scale isn't whats wanted. After visiting with my brother and doing research, there are quite a few flying spark plugs, and most common on the 5.4's although it does happen on the 4.6's occasionally. His employee last year had to buy a new head after spitting a plug out. Somewhat relates back to the cruise control wire fires, and some other problem areas like the rear axle seals. Every new design has it's problems, but the key is to fix them as they're found. Kinda leery of driving it, and about the phone call I'll get tomorrow from Midway, and why I'll baby it til down the road. I have extra for maintenance and small problems, but not for spit spark plugs. Guess down the road, and after saving up, we'll see what my brother and I decide to do. But I can't afford a fix a spit spark plug again that would go towards a down payment. Just a bad plug thread design, and sometimes improper maintenance. I never touched the plugs on the truck, as they were changed 30,000 miles ago by Long McArthur. I just don't wanna see the trickle down effect after this cause I can't afford that.

blacksnapon

Staff member
So, what is the deal with with the spark plug issue. unless your a russian babooska and you tighten the heck out of them, you should be fine,OH WAIT ITS A FORD. i have read some other stuff about their being only three or so threads in the bottom. that sounds like a sweet idea, not. you have what, like 13 threads on a friggin spark plug lets just leave 10 there to do nothing. oh well, sounds like lots of fords genus engineering, they probably thought about the y block. I have been to machining school, and yes, i know that it is said that the first three threads are all that you need for max strength and the rest are just there in-case, but this is aluminum. come on. its typical ford, lets just change things every 6 weeks because its fun. Sounds like ford needs to learn how to machine some heads. How safe would you feel if your lug nuts were only 3 threads wide? why would you push the minimum, let alone on an aluminum head, were else are they doing this crap. maybe the only reason they didn't take any bail out money is because they don't have any REAL machinists, CNC operators, or engineers to pay. They would rather just pay some f sticks cheaply to screw stuff up.
The thread issue was dealt with. The early heads were the only ones that had the problem.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Quite the first two posts :D

my bad, i guess its the new ones that come into two pieces when you try to change them? have a buddy looking at getting a 05. he is curious what he will be getting into.

blacksnapon

Staff member
my bad, i guess its the new ones that come into two pieces when you try to change them? have a buddy looking at getting a 05. he is curious what he will be getting into.
The three valve 5.4s have smaller plugs (about 9/16"). They have a tendency to sieze in the heads due to aluminum/steel interaction. Then you have an issue when you change plugs. Many people, when they're going to purchase one used, stipulate that the selling dealer change plugs before the deal is finalized.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
why doesnt the lighting have probs?? my friends 2000 500 Hp lighting never had a prob spitting plugs

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Some guys have issues some don't. I know of guys building trucks specifically with the 4 thread heads just to prove a point. When I purchase stock heads I have them automatically timecerted, flared from the block side so as to not have issues. Aftermarket heads have addressed the issue and don't have problems. For me it is cheaper to get a 4 thread PI head and have it 'certed than it is to find an 8 thread head.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts