Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

99 f150 engine change

hey all i have 99 f150 2wd 4.6 romeo engine cam holdown on rrh side came loose all six bolts lmao only 147,000 miles never been apart just plugs and wires anyway the head is junk so i call salvage yard to buy a used engine he tells me that only certain yrs will fit and he had 1 (of course) i pulled mine and set them side by side they looked the same except valve covers and exhaust manifolds,so i pulled them parts off all looked good except the broken exhaust studs on used engine (sent 2 me that way) i drilled and tapped them what a pain in the @#$ that was,i replace vc gaskets rear main seal ,waterpump, and freeze plugs as 1 rear plug showed some corrosion,i installed new spark plugs and thought i was good 2 go !!But i noticed idler pulley had a noise when i spun it so i said NP i use my old one Wrong mine was bigger and wider so was belt tensioner and it wont bolt up ! sorry this is so long lol but now i have 2 change the timing cover also? that was the whole reason 2 buy a motor 2 fit the thing to begin with is this always the case or did he just sell me something that requires twice the work? thanks for any replies in advance im frutrated 2 say the least

blacksnapon

Staff member
You do need to match applications correctly, as with anything else.

THANKS BLACKSNAPON!! i changed timing cover and used all my components but after speaking with a larger salvage yard in atlanta GA they told me even though the car engines will work with all the swapping they dont sell a car engine for the truck engine due 2 warranty issues from all the parts to b swapped but as usual im lost agiain on what my buddy removed behind intake as in my latest posts in forums

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts