Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I have an idea.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you all will hear me out, I have an idea that may help differentiate this site from others. The basis of this idea?

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)

We could have live over the internet audio chat. I've done this before with another forum, and was COMPLETELY impressed by the idea and how well it works. All you need is a microphone to get it started.

I think this could really seperate us from the pack and let the members get to know each other better. This should make for a more enjoyable environment, and let you get to know your fellow members better.

Any takers? I can look into this.

Ryan

I'm game, sometimes it really helps to hear someone's voice (opposed to just reading a post) to get to know a person :)

Requirements = just a Microphone, or is there extra software or a High Speed Connection needed?

AWESOME idea Rattlecan! :nana:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
the software is a free download for anyone participating. The only time it'll cost anything is if we decide to pay for our own 100% up time ventrilo server.

Ryan

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Only thing I don't care for is that others will miss out. I like being able to go back through the posts from the day and get caught up with everyone. And others, well, just cant hear and would miss out.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not trying to disagree with you completely, but I use it on another website that is computer oriented. It probably happens to a degree, but it certainly doesn't feel that way.

It could certainly act as a tool to have instant response if anyone is on the server in case you need quick help.

Ryan

Yeah, I've used it to on a gaming-forums site... people mostly use it to give their fingers a break from typing.

Think of a guy who google'd for help after attempting to get the fuel filter off his F-150 and was lead to this site. Now imagine the comfort he would feel after hearing 4-5 members telling him something like "Yeah, those are such a pain to replace sometimes...it took me 20 minuets the first time I tried." :eek:

Just a thought.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if by chance we use a voip deal, will what we talk about be recorded? sometimes people read more than they interact. this may be a cool option for like a chat room deal or like live help, but as for the boards, i think it will be best if we do what we are doing.

I'm afraid I won't be using it when I'm home. Maybe on the road, but even then there's things like connection speeds and sometimes having to idle the truck that add to ambient noise. Here at home, I know for a fact my wife gets grumpy just when I TALK while her beloved shows are on... and as I always say, I'd rather be happy than right.

Is that the reason the couple of times I've talked to you on the phone your teeth were chattering...........you were outside??'hah'
Hey I remember at LEAST one of those calls, she terminated! :headbang:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Here at home, I know for a fact my wife gets grumpy just when I TALK... and as I always say, I'd rather be happy than right.
Dang Tom, I knew you were irritating, but sheesh!! Talk about whipped!! :rofl:

Dang Tom, I knew you were irritating, but sheesh!! Talk about whipped!! :rofl:
My point exactly!!! She has no idea how good she has it... she could have to deal with YOU....

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I don't think it is a bad idea but I think a chat room might be more useful and used.

If you want to set the site apart what about some sort of podcast. Maybe a once every two week deal where different members could put one together and air it. Could be anything from "how to" to "How Don't" do something.

As the site grows so could maybe the podcasts to like once a week and even have different podcasts to cover different areas of the site.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you want to set the site apart what about some sort of podcast. Maybe a once every two week deal where different members could put one together and air it. Could be anything from "how to" to "How Don't" do something.

As the site grows so could maybe the podcasts to like once a week and even have different podcasts to cover different areas of the site.

I think you have some potential here.

Ryan

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I think you have some potential here.

Mom always said I had potential, I must have forgot where I put it though:rofl:

Maybe the techs that have been kind enough to grace our presence might even be willing to do an update every couple of months on recalls pending, issues to look for or anything else they might think we as Ford truck owners might be interested in knowing.

Just a thought

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts