Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can someone help me with my old Ford460?

Hi everyone, I just posted a short intro, and just found this site. I am hopefull that someone on here can offer some hope for my old FordF250 460 engine, who's been my faithfull truck for almost eighteen years. My mechanic just told me to give it away, and something tells me that maybe I can keep it going. As silly as this sounds, I am rather emotional about my truck, as it's been with me for many trips, and experiences, I know, stupid but true. I already bought another truck (Ford) but can't part with old Betsy just yet)
So, I hope someone can help me!! Here's the problem.
It's been running great for years, I regularly have the oil changed, and I have always liked my mechanic and trusted him . This truck is so rusty it won't pass inspection anymore but I hoped to keep it as a farm work truck, as I have horses.
Here's what happened. Out of the blue, just after filling it with gas at a station I have never been to before, two miles after leaving, it started running like it was choking, and stalled out. I had to wait about ten minutes before I could start it again, and it kept doing that all the way home, only going about two miles if that each time.
At first, my mechanic said it was probably water in the gas, and he put dry gas in it. But same thing, it ran better for a bit, then same trouble.
Now, laugh everyone, but I just came back from Walmart and the guy there gave me some STP oil treatment, which I just put in this morning. He also gave me two bottles of Fuel line antifreze-water remover-injector cleaner.
I've been running in it my driveway, and I could swear it's running better already, but it still stalls out.
My common sense tells me that if the engine is shot, which my mechanic told me, why would it start right up,and go two miles before it stalls, then start up again? he says the transmission is fine. oh, it's got at least 250K miles on it, but fellas, I love my truck!!! Is there hope for Betsy???
Thanks, please feel free to laugh at my emotional bond I have with this old truck,
Farmlady

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
........Here's what happened. Out of the blue, just after filling it with gas at a station I have never been to before, two miles after leaving, it started running like it was choking, and stalled out. I had to wait about ten minutes before I could start it again, and it kept doing that all the way home, only going about two miles if that each time....
Thanks, please feel free to laugh at my emotional bond I have with this old truck,
Farmlady

I'd be willing to bet you picked up a load of bad gas - or what they sell for gasoline these days. Your description sounds very much like a plugged fuel filter. Depending on the year you may have one in the tank and another on the frame rail.

What year is your truck? That'll help these guys nail down what you're dealing with. Also indicate Carb or EFI, 2WD or 4x4, single or dual tanks, etc
If you don't know what you have, a picture is worth 1000 words.

edit: I see from your post in the '87-96 forum it's efi.

Last edited:
Mileage on truck ?
Was this gas station out of the way or busy ?
What colour was the exhaust when it did this, Blue or black ?

I am trying to get an idea as, you without having specialty tools to do testing makes it tough from here.

Thank you both for responding, I'm trying to figure out how to get email to let me know when there's a response.
Anyway, I think my post got put somewhere else also, so I"m getting used to being here.
Mtflat, I am a forever optimist, and I am hoping that you are right. IT was running great, as always, untill I got off the freeway and stopped at a station I have never been, and never will again. Two miles up the freeway, it acted up, and has been like this since, two weeks now. My mechanic says he can't siphon the gas out, I don't see why not. I'm wondering if he just doesn't want to, but I trust the guy, I've known him for years, but I"m wondering if he just dosne't want to work on it anymore. Why can't I sipon ou the gas?
I also wondered if someone was messing around with my truck, but it happend right after that stop at the station, so wouldn't it be somethin if I could fix it?
Is it common for an old truck to need a new gas tank? What would installing a new one cost I suppose I can ask around for an estimate.
I did have the fuel filter replaced and my mech. said it was filthy, now it's fine. How does gunk get in there anyway? Could it be rust like someone else said, and is that normal? Mt, it's an '89, 2x2 Lariat, blue and white, and if I knew how, I would restore it. Now I wish I took auto shop in school when I was younger! I would save a ton of money if I knew how to do this myself.
And that's what I"m worried about, someone else will want it, and I'll see it out on the road, and I will be pissed off! IT has duel tanks, the front fuel filter quit years ago, I wonder if I should work on that one instead, since it's larger? and just forget =this back one I"ve been driving on?
To MIl, thank you for responding also. IT's got at least 260K on it, and my mech. always used to laugh and say this truck will last forever, since with the 460 I don't tow anything, and just drive it locallly now, so now he says the engine is gone, with no explanation, but it's been running all afternoon out in my driveway, it stalls out every 10 15 min, then starts again. He also says the transmission is fine. The gas station was a smaller, kind of mom and pop store, around other gas stations. I was on the freeway so I didn't see the exhaust.
I appreciate all the responses I am getting, this has really been upsetting, and I don't have a handy guy to ask,
fL

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Unless the engine is/was making horrible noises before it quit I'd suggest finding another mechanic. He might be a friend, but some of his advice just doesn't add up.

Yes, you can siphon the gas out of the tank. You always have to do it when you remove the tank from a truck in order to replace the sock filter on the fuel pickup. It means collecting it in cans and is a bother and a bit of a hazzard, but I've done it dozens of times.

Since you know the history of the truck I wouldn't worry about replacing the tank. On the old ones (48-52's that I mess with) I've had to replace 2 tanks, but I'm still using two originals. Unless your tank is rusted thru and leaking gas I'd keep using it.

The gunk gets in the truck tank from the gas stations. If they have old tanks underground, or their supplier has just delivered a load of gas, or the supplier has contaminated gas they want to get rid of, etc. The small mom and pops have more trouble with clean supplies than the big chain stores just due to the volume they sell. Gas supplies in this country are unbelievably dirty as a general rule.

The things the other guys suggested are good ideas, but I tend to try the simple things first. The 460's are wonderful engines. I had an 88 F250 4x4 w/ the 460 and ZF5. Still kicking myself for selling it to a friend. 250,000 and that engine is just getting worn in.

Myflat, thanks! THis is what I"m having to deal with, I live alone, and this mechanic has kept my Betsy running up here for ten years, but he's getting very negaive, and actually told me the engine quit. Dump it, he said.
So when I was able to drive it home (two miles) I said to myself, huh? I may be clueless about trucks, but if if the engine was "done" how could I get it home? ANd it took off with all the power (why I love it) right up the country road to my driveway. So, how could the engine be shot?
You have reassured me to go with my gut, and maybe look for someone else to look at Bets. I"m wondering if I should figure out how to siphon the gas out myself, is there a gismo I can buy to do it myself?
I just have the feeling that If I let this truck go, someone is going to fix this problem, and I"m going to be seeing it on the road, and I'm going to be mad at myself. I can drive it no matter how much rust as a farm truck, and it's priceless for that.
so much great advice, I"m going with keeping Betsy, and at least trying all the things you have all given me to try.
You said you were kicking yourself for selling yours to a friend, and sometimes I wonder if that's why I"m being told it's junk, maybe he knows someone who wants it. You also said yours had 250,000 miles (just like mine) and the engine is just getting worn it. That's what i"ve heard about the 460's, that they're built to haul and work, and all I do is drive around and go to Walmart. so, the engine has to be ok, if it still starts, and runs, and it has to be the gas, or gas issue with tanks, lines, filters, or pump.
hey, I"m getting educated!!!!
Thank you
FL

Sometimes figuring things out requires the trouble-shooter to slow things down and do a step by step analysis

Try not to overload the people with information and questions that aren't relevant to the topic at hand.

There is plenty of other foprums for chit chat.

The only way to really help someone with a problem is to have the thread stay topic and only have ONE thread to deal with the problem

I have already lost interest in this because of so many threads.

Maybe the moderator can combine this thread with the best one and remove the duplicate posts..so we know what is been suggested and done.

Hi Mil- I just read your statements, and I don't understand where they come from. I feel that the many replies I received were extremely helpfull to me, and offered me many things to consider, considering I"m not a mechanic, nor even able to do the work myself. I"m sorry that you lost interest in my need for information, I do appreciate your time and effort to offer your thoughts.
I think this is a great site, especially for you fellas who really know what your'e talking about. Your post makes no sense, to me, but that is ok,,,
I have a lot of options and things to consider, which came from the many who responded. I"m sure my truck trouble is minor to you, but for me,
this information was excatly what I was hoping for
take care
farmlady

oh, I"m not sure why my post was put in two different places, seeing as how I just joined here yesturday, someone was trying to help, and it was done in error I"m sure.
well so what, look how many people came to help out, much appreciated by me.
again, sorry that you posted what you did,
I"m gratefull to all who responded on both posts.
take care

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Don't worry about him. You'll get used to him. He is always like that. He has good info, but if you aren't precise in your posts he has to critique them. Been like that forever. Must happen when you get old :rofl2: Just post up however you feel like and enjoy the site. We are all here to help.

Thanks shortbed, nice of you to respond. I am sort of a say it like it is, lady. independent, maybe clueless about trucks, but I can learn.
Funny thing, a lot of what he said just wasn't true, about the fuel filter, so that's why I responded the way I did.
All of you are very knowledgable, and are appreciated,
thankyou again
FArmlady

blacksnapon

Staff member
There are many knowledgeable folks here, all you gotta do is ask! There are no dumb questions.

Thanks for your response. Ater thinking about all the great responses I got here over the last day or so, I found a new mechanic, he has a reputation, and just came back. For fifty bucks, he's going to look at it, and assess what's going on. Well worth that to me. I'll come back if anyone wants or is curious to know what he finds,
I feel much more educated and more conifident talking to him, based on all that you offered me.
He said right off, could be the pump, when it gets warm maybe it's just quiting. My old Ford is well worth keeping going, to take me to get hay, sawdust, and lumber. Even if it's five hundred, I think I"ll go that high if I have to. Probably labor costs are going to take up much of that, but I"m at the mercy of someone doing the work, if I was like you all, it sure would be a cost savings to do it myself, and I can understand how you all enjoy working on your trucks. I actually built a horse barn (36 by 32) out of mostly junk lumber. Metal roof came from dumps, and scrap piles from construction sites.
Came out great, so I like working on things.
anyway, that's off track.
I'll come back and let you all know what happens, might be a couple weeks,
thanks for all the support and info.
farmlady

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Let us know what he finds out. $50 is a reasonable rate to diagnose a problem. Definitely worth the money if you don't have the tools to test everything yourself.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts