Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

stuck starter

hello you all I have a 95 f250 ps that when it sits for 3 or 4 day will turn over like it is going to start but if it don't start the starter will not disengage I have changed the starter and the starter relay but did not help. any guesses?

starter

That is a gear reduction starter isn't it, if the starter has a built in solonoid which most have the plunger that pulls down inside of the solonoid has a return spring that relifts the plunger away from the starter contacts could have collapsed and won't return plunger so stays engaged. Pull starter and remove the cover on solonoid usually triangle shaped with 3 bolts and pull plunger out and look inside. Good luck.:hammer:

hello you all I have a 95 f250 ps that when it sits for 3 or 4 day will turn over like it is going to start but if it don't start the starter will not disengage I have changed the starter and the starter relay but did not help. any guesses?

2 thing here.
1 - you have a fuel leak down problem. Sitting for 3-4 days should not make the truck hard to start.
2 - You started probally has a high temp override and when you crank on it all day and all night, it is going to disengage to keep you from burning it up.
Give it a shot of ether after it sits for a few days and see if it fires immediately. This will answer all your concerns. ***CAUTION*** Use ether at your own risk.

Larry B

Larry B
I have had a problem a number of times like this mainly with John Deer equipment. If you have low voltage due to weak cell in old batteryies, The low voltage causes the amps to go high and sticks the contacts together. Just a thought

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts