Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1972 F250 Starting/stalling issues

I'm having an issue with my 1972 F250 starting and it stalls while idling, and or giving it throttle.
It's an automatic, it's a 360, and the wires and plugs are maybe a year/1.5 years old.
I'm not sure if there's a leak somewhere, the carb is off, or what?

I turn the key, it chokes, and sometimes starts right up, sometimes not. Sometimes it idles to warm up just fine and sometimes it stalls while warming. Sometimes after it's warm and I'm driving, I'll brake to an idle, it just dies.
Sometimes if I give it too much gas/throttle from an idle start it chugs and stalls. Also it's slow with acceleration off the line so to speak.
Lately it hardly starts.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Fellro

Staff member
Definitely be looking for a vacuum leak, they will be the simplest thing that will drive you to drinking trying to find sometimes... I have had carbs shake themselves apart, even had PO's put the gaskets in upside down... (internal carb gasket) Has a hose tot he brake booster disintergrate and cause hard starting idling troubles too.

A can of starting fluid sprayed LIGHTLY around suspected leak points (at idle) can show you where it's sucking air (the engine will rev up when you've found it). Not a good idea if you have any wires that can throw a spark while your spraying it, though. I've heard of people doing it with WD40, but it never worked for me. Food for thought, though.

Fellro

Staff member
Carb cleaner also works...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts