Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Top end swap

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
In the next few months one of the many things I plan on doing is a new upper/lower intake (cobra 5.0), either a set of AFR 165s or some GT40s still debating that one, and possibly a new cam or just some new 1.7 rockers after I get through emissions.

Now my question is what all would I have to mess with to make this (see below) intake work on my truck? The obvious ones to me are the throttle body, iac, air intake.. would my fuel rail work on this or would I need a new one for it? Thanks for the input guys.
cobrarintake.jpg

Last edited:

F150

easy
Looks like plug and play. But to get the full benefit of the intake, then the TB and MAF sensor should be swapped out, along with the heads, cam and exhaust.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the fuel rail is different i believe. search the boneyards for 5.0 mustangs and snatch the rail off one. you could get the sensors you need off one as well. you will probably need a mustang cpu due to the change in runner length, sensors also.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Yea, a MAF conversion is also in the works with a 90s GT computer to go with it. It's fairly obvious I need a new mustang throttle body, I was just wondering about stuff like the fuel rail (which you mentioned is different - maybe) EGR location - tubing, PCV on the intake, all that fun stuff.

I'm thinking it might make the most sense to just get that Edelbrock truck intake they list on summit. Just for the ease of changing everything over.. but.. but.. this ones so puuuurty.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Lol. Apparently the owner put in a shortblock from an 88 GT when he blew the last motor but I'm not counting on it, lol. And if he did.. it'd be awesome since they have forged trws from the factory if I'm not mistaken.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Find a pair of GT40P heads off of the late 90's early 00's explorers, from what i understand these ported closely match and sometimes exceed a pair of stock aluminum heads, can get them for cheap too.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I've looked into that route as well.. I'm thinking I'm going to do it once and overdo it, lol. Money is no object at this point in my life so it's go big or go home.. I think. Lol, we'll see how it goes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm
8d_1_b.JPG

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts