Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

89 2.3L Ranger Clutch Slave is IDEAL for other 2.3's

Greywolf

In going through the tranny fiasco on my truck, I've seen two trannies out of B2300's so far, and the slaves in them are made entirely out of plastic, and the throw out bearing doesn't come off. They are one piece units, you spend a hundred bucks, and pitch the old ones. If you TRY to take off the TOB, you will destroy the slave unit.

The 89 Ranger (don't know about other years) has a METAL clutch slave cylinder, and to change the throw out bearing you twist it and pull it off. The T-O bearing is a mere 28 bucks, as opposed to 99.

It bolts in exactly the same as the B2300 unit, has the same bleeder nut and quick disconnect plug, and is in all respects a direct transplant to a B series. I thought I should pass this on for what it may be worth, since it saves cash and makes the truck better maintainable.

I'm at stage III with a problem trans right now, and taking a break because I got a little bloody. It's set to go back together with a new T-O and clutch disc, and number three in a series of transmissions. Hopefully this one is good...

blacksnapon

Staff member
In going through the tranny fiasco on my truck, I've seen two trannies out of B2300's so far, and the slaves in them are made entirely out of plastic, and the throw out bearing doesn't come off. They are one piece units, you spend a hundred bucks, and pitch the old ones. If you TRY to take off the TOB, you will destroy the slave unit.

The 89 Ranger (don't know about other years) has a METAL clutch slave cylinder, and to change the throw out bearing you twist it and pull it off. The T-O bearing is a mere 28 bucks, as opposed to 99.

It bolts in exactly the same as the B2300 unit, has the same bleeder nut and quick disconnect plug, and is in all respects a direct transplant to a B series. I thought I should pass this on for what it may be worth, since it saves cash and makes the truck better maintainable.

I'm at stage III with a problem trans right now, and taking a break because I got a little bloody. It's set to go back together with a new T-O and clutch disc, and number three in a series of transmissions. Hopefully this one is good...
My dealership has both ford and mazda. So, been there, done that!

Greywolf

Dude at the scrapyard said he'd never seen anything but plastic one pieces. I wonder if it says something about the Ranger version?

I had to PROVE to the guy that:

1) Yep - it's true. GO TO ANY AUTOZONE AND THEY CAN SHOW YOU ONE.
2) Yeah, the throw outs are replaceable.
3) It really is a direct bolt up.

Greywolf

Hey, no problemo 'Mano! I figure whatever saves us bucks later on is worth telling about.

But this S.O.B. is clearly a stronger and longer lasting unit.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Good tip. Crossin' my fingers I don't need to go anywhere near that freakin' thing for a while yet (all new about 25k miles ago...) but who knows.

Just curious, what problems are you finding with the transmissions? Sure sounds like there's a design flaw in there, that would be good to know about as I'm trying to maintain an identical unit here.

Greywolf

Whatever you do, check the fluid level A LOT.

Nerver let it drop down any.

Low fluid seems to be the 99 time out of a hundred thing that kills them right off. Otherwise they last forever,

THERE IS NO DIPSTICK, you have to get under them to check. But if you skip it, they die.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK.

I try to check it at least every couple months, but maybe I need to start doing it more than that. Nuisance to dig out a wrench and crawl under, but not so bad as losing a tranny a long way from home...

Thanks- always good to know what's failing on other people's trucks, so you can watch for it to start going bad on your own.

Ford Truck Articles