Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

a GOOD tune up question .

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i wanna do a good tune up.. not like basic stuff ignition and oil and tranny but other things

like differential oil... something like that

how to change differential oil ? and what else should i change ?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Diff oil is real easy. Loosen the bottom bolts of your rear diff cover several turns, and loosen the top bolts 1 to 2 turns. Pry open the bottom portion and allow oil to drain into a pan.

mxdfsv10a_diff_lube.jpg

Once oil is done draining remove the diff cover completely and clean it. Use a scraper to scrape all RTV off of cover and housing mating surfaces. Apply a bead of RTV all the way around the mating surface and surround all bolt holes with a complete circle like this:

mxdfsv24a_diff_lube.jpg

The RTV that you use should specify whether to let it set up for some time or put the cover back on right away. Replace the cover and torque the bolts down, some RTV should squirt out the sides of the mating surface; if not, you didn't apply enough RTV. Allow RTV to dry (read RTV tube again to see what it recommends). Once RTV is dry remove the plug on the forward side of the differential with a 3/8" socket drive and either pour fluid in through a funnel or use a hand pump. Read your owners manual to see how much that 10.25" will take.

For the front diff there are 2 plugs: one drain and one fill. Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain into a pan. Once fluid is done draining install drain plug and remove fill plug. Here you will need to use a hand pump to pump the new gear oil back in. Once done, replace fill plug and you're done!

Other tune up items...

1) If you have greaseable u-joints, be sure to grease all of those. If you have non-greaseables, might be time to replace them if you want to keep up on maintenance.

2) Remove your wheels and check your brake pads and shoes to see how much life they've got left.

3) Check the color and level of your coolant, flush if necessary.

4) Remove driveshaft and grease front slip yoke at transfer case (check tightness of pinion nut while the shaft is off).

5) Drain and refill transfer case with Mercon/Dexton ATF (around 2 or 3 quarts, check your user manual).

6) If you're really motivated, remove your front hubs and repack your wheel bearings (at least the outers... might want to leave the inners for when you do your next brake job).

7) While you've got the front end jacked up, throw a stiff metal rod or 2x4 under each of the front tires and pull up and down to check your ball joints, should be NO movement up/down/left/right.

8) Check level of your brake fluid and change if you feel its time.

9) Replace fuel filter.

10) Replace PCV valve.

11) Replace any deteriorating hoses and vac lines.

I reckon thats about all the maintenance kind of stuff that you could do, short of replacing expensive parts...

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
thanks chris.. ill look into that ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Once RTV is dry remove the plug on the forward side of the differential

Just my opinion, but I ALWAYS remove the fill plug before I drain anything.

Just in case it's a problem to get it out, I'd rather know before I make the vehicle undrivable.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good call. I've always got backup vehicles at my moms house so I never have to worry about that ;) Touche Andy :p

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts