Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Howling whistle noise

I have a 2005 F350 Crew Cab with the 6.0 Powerstroke, 137,000 miles, that I bought a couple months ago. It used a gallon of anti-freeze in 300 miles after I bought it so I had the dealer install new oil cooler and EGR cooler luckily at seller's expense. This stopped the coolant use and I installed a coolant filter immediately after the work was done. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but after the dealer did the work, I noticed an intermittent whistle or howl coming from engine compartment. It doesn't do it when idling, but comes and goes at various RPMs during mild acceleration and deceleration. Sounds like a hoot owl under the hood.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The 2006 I used to have had a turbo whine that came from in the engine compartement and would vary quite a bit as the turbo vanes would change and depending on engine and outside temperature. Hopefully Vince or one of the other awesome 6.0 techs will see this soon and give their advice. You definetly came to the right place, just give them some time.

I heard a howling, or whistling noise in mine and it turned out to be a crack in the hose coming out of the turbo. Mine went through a EGR cooler leaking antifreeze too. After that repair my hose started acting up. I don't know that they are related, but it wouldn't surprise me.

redxlt

blacksnapon

Staff member
I heard a howling, or whistling noise in mine and it turned out to be a crack in the hose coming out of the turbo. Mine went through a EGR cooler leaking antifreeze too. After that repair my hose started acting up. I don't know that they are related, but it wouldn't surprise me.

redxlt
Look in the 6.0 section, I've posted pictures on the repair of his truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts