Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wiper arm bushings

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Tail end of a hurricane came through here last night, and it was raining like hell for a while.

I noticed (not for the first time, but it's getting worse) that when my wipers are on high, they "click" against the bottom of the windshield frame when the go all the way down. I think they do it on lower speeds, too, but not loud enough to really be noticable.

I believe someone once told me there are bushings that can wear out and cause this, and that certainly makes sense.

What is involved in changing them, and are they something I can pick up at NAPA or do I have to go to a dealership for them.

This is the '97 Ranger in my sig, and it's had "winter" style wiper blades installed on it for most of the last decade.

Thanks!

There are busings in there. I have never changed them, but is you can get Ryan to post his pics of the wiper motor repair...the bushings should show up in them.

As far as I know...you have to lift the cowl (like ryan did) to get to them.

Unless you mean the bushings where they come though the cowl are worn. I am not sure, but you might be able to replace those from the top.

My 89 (my brothers now) has never worn out...must be the climate up there.

Would you believe some of the wiper "bushings" on the 56 are leather? :rofl:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
There are busings in there. I have never changed them, but is you can get Ryan to post his pics of the wiper motor repair...the bushings should show up in them.

As far as I know...you have to lift the cowl (like ryan did) to get to them.

Unless you mean the bushings where they come though the cowl are worn. I am not sure, but you might be able to replace those from the top.

My 89 (my brothers now) has never worn out...must be the climate up there.

Would you believe some of the wiper "bushings" on the 56 are leather? :rofl: NO
The newest truck parts catalog I have (1991) shows no wiper pivot bushings, they are part of the wiper pivot arm and shaft: E9TZ-17566/57-A R/L. I doubt Ford would make them available on anything newer. Ford is in the business of selling parts, and servicing the parts only with the 17566 assembly makes them more money.

[confused] Brian, are you confusing the leather washers with wiper pivot bushings? That's what those leather washers are for, to keep water from leaking past the wiper pivots and into the cab.

B6C-17541-A .. Washer, Windshield Wiper Mounting Spacer-Leather.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Brian, I think the cause of them wearing out is indirectly due to the climate. I use "winter" style blades year round and so did the previous owner. They're heavier and catch the wind worse than regular ones, but they don't ice up like the regular ones do.

I'll have to tear it down sometime and see if there is a way to fabricate something to tighten it up; I'm sure the complete assembly is more than I want to spend.

Thanks, guys!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah, my only piece of advice is to start tearing them down one step at a time until the 'play' goes away. It might be a worn out wiper arm. The teeth may have become worn down from the grade 8 mounted gear. The arms only cost 10-12 bucks.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts