Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Vacuum leak

Ok..... i'm ready to climb a clock tower loaded for innocents.
i can hear a Vac leak in the van. Dog coop out, hood open but i can't be in 2 places at one time. at least 'till i become a saint. "Get someone to listen with you". step-kids and a'hole brothers promise assistance when they "need" but never follow through after they get their help.
is there such a thing as a Vacuum"leak detector" that 1 old cripple can use alone??
it sounds like it's near the TB but only 1/2 of it is visible from the inside.
thanks guysYelloThumbUp

blacksnapon

Staff member
You can use carb cleaner with that little straw. While the engine is running, spray it on different areas. When you find a leak, the engine noise will change. Of course, use caution when spraying around any source of ignition.

I've done Vince's suggestion before, and it worked well. The gauge, though, when properly used, should indicate ongoing problems; Most of them come with a tips booklet.

thanks guys.... i have a Vac guage but this van is a PIA by myself to work on.
i think i'll end up doing Vinces offering. that i can do by myself. also i can go up in flames by myself. Vince will be held responsible.(j/kidding sir. almost)

you know i smoke and wouldn't even get the thing started before i exploded. hateful bast****'s:hammer:
Then, by all means, consult TODD on how you can do so and get away unscathed...

blacksnapon

Staff member
thanks guys.... i have a Vac guage but this van is a PIA by myself to work on.
i think i'll end up doing Vinces offering. that i can do by myself. also i can go up in flames by myself. Vince will be held responsible.(j/kidding sir. almost)
If you do it, do it well! I want to see the blast from here!

ohhhh i never "UNDER" do explosions.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Theres another way, but its even hairier than the carb cleaner. Get a propane bottle, with the valve on it, put a small hose on it and turn on the gas. When you point the hose at the vacuum leak, the motor speeds up. Gotta have large ones for that way (or not much sense)!

If you don't have a small hose, just suck up a mouthful of propane and blow on it...

Helmet and fire jacket. Preferably SFI-II rated!!
Since he didn't mention a complete fire SUIT, we now know what happened to his lower regions...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If you can hear it, it could be coming from the power brake booster and/or check valve. Or under the dash, one or more of the vacuum lines that feed from the back of the a/c heater control panels: Air Conditioning Vacuum Control Selector Valve (19B888). This "mouthful" is the multi-ported vacuum selector valve that has the "kicker" on it for the a/c compressor.

It could also be a defective damper door vacuum motor (18A318).

Both 19B888 and 18A318 have been Ford "best sellers" since the 1970's.

Guess why.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you can hear it, it could be coming from the power brake booster and/or check valve. Or under the dash, one or more of the vacuum lines that feed from the back of the a/c heater control panels: Air Conditioning Vacuum Control Selector Valve (19B888). This "mouthful" is the multi-ported vacuum selector valve that has the "kicker" on it for the a/c compressor.

It could also be a defective damper door vacuum motor (18A318).

Both 19B888 and 18A318 have been Ford "best sellers" since the 1970's.

Guess why.
YOU'RE NUMBERDUMMY!!! Hahah I should have known!!

Last edited:
i think...won't swear to it but it sounds like it's between the throttle body and intake.. the noise "sings" after i let off the throttle.

Ford Truck Articles