Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HID's in my F250

Tlee2552

Georgia Chapter member
I've been thinking about putting some 6k HIDs in to replace my yellow headlights. My friend told me aftermarked HIDs on a pickup truck are illegal? I was wondering if there was any truth to this, or if its something to be worried about. Also i was curious as to how hard of a job this is to do to a truck, im not as mechanically inclined as i wish i was.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well yes. any HID's in a vehicle that did not come stock with them, are technically illegal. but few get in trouble for it.

what year F250 do you have? there are better options out there if your worried bout getting in trouble because of them.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've been thinking about putting some 6k HIDs in to replace my yellow headlights. My friend told me aftermarked HIDs on a pickup truck are illegal? I was wondering if there was any truth to this, or if its something to be worried about. Also i was curious as to how hard of a job this is to do to a truck, im not as mechanically inclined as i wish i was.
In Missouri, as long as the lamps are primarily white in color, go for it. I have however, replaced a lot of headlamp assemblies because of the aftermarket bulbs getting too hot, melting the assembly.

Tlee2552

Georgia Chapter member
I have a 2000 F250, Yea i have planned on the 6k im not going after the blue or purple look. Im just looking for something a little clearer than the stock ones.

Tlee2552

Georgia Chapter member
I've tried to read up on it, but when i pop the hood (and maybe i'm just ill prepared) but it looks almost impossible to get my current bulbs out to run the conversion kit's wires.

well the 6k and 8k's are fine, they are white, but the 10k and 12k are where you start getting the blues and purples and those are horribly bad to look at while drivin..

I've also noticed the traffic signals that have changed to LCD's will blind you or dilate the pupils
to where you can't see the road on the other side. ( in a pitch black situation)

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I've also noticed the traffic signals that have changed to LCD's will blind you or dilate the pupils
to where you can't see the road on the other side. ( in a pitch black situation)

the ones around here have converted to where the red actually flashes for 3 seconds, goes calm solid red for 3 and so on.... that way it catches your attention that its red.... and the ones around here are LED's.

HIDs are great, I have 'em in my truck. Many people complain about them, but you have to be smart about them. Remember that you will probably need to aim your headlights down a bit. Running projectors for the HIDs helps quite a bit, as it reduces the annoying glare that HIDs can give off.

I have no clue how they are installed on a Super Duty, but HIDs kits are all the same. Ballast, wiring to the ballast (some are fully plug n play - which is AWESOME and doesn't require running wires up to the battery), and then you have a harness that goes to the bulb. 2 quick disconnect type wires to the bulb. pretty easy, and I assume that you have plenty of room behind the headlights to mount your ballasts.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
As long as you stick with around 6k, you're good. I had some in my last ride that I got no beef for.

radialarm

Clown of Death!

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
easiest way to do it is take the head light assembly completely out of the truck to make it easier to run the wires

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts