Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cam Follower Came Off

Need some advise. On my 98 F150 4.6 8 cyl passenger side, Cam Follower came off. This is my 1st time working on an engine so will need some help. From what I have been told thus far, the oil ports may be clogged and reduced the oil flow to the cam and therefore resulting in the cam & head getting hot and the follower popping off. When I took off the valve cover a good bit of dirt and debris got in the valve bank. I have been told on another forum that the head is trashed and should be replaced. I was hoping I could just clean the head area, oil ports and wash out with diesel then 5w20 with the oil pan off and just let everything flow thru, replace the follower and reassemble.
Please look at the pics at the below link and let me know if this will work or should I replace the head assembly..

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/oo130/BigWill1767/FORD TRUCK/

SEMPER FI

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you replace that HLA for that cylinder, then stick the follower back in, you'll probably be ok.

99 F250 4.6SOHC Throwing rocker arms

I recently rebuilt my 99 F250 4.6 (W) SOHC.
New heads and cams, but used old lifters and rockers
Ran excellent about 75 miles, then developed a substantial miss.
Cyls 3 & 4 dead.
Pulled that V/C and found a roller rocker from each cylinder laying aside.
Installed 2 new rockers and lifters, no discernable free-play on rockers.
Cranked the engine over 2 revs, and the same 2 rockers shot out again.
I am really scratching my head on this one, especially with new heads.
Apparently there is a TB2234 out there addressing this issue but haven't been able to locate it.
Florida truck, using 10w-30 Oil (read elsewhere that too thick oil will cause this problem)
Pulled the head, looks perfect (no valve seat issues)
Thanks for your help!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts