Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mixing used motor oil with diesel fuel

Hello,

I'm an owner of a 2008 6.4L Power Stroke. I have installed an SCT programer and the DPF/cat delete. Runs great and better mileage. Not what expected but ok. Been reading about mixing used motor oil with diesel fuel. All research points to success mixing the two provided it's done correctly, filtering, mixing, methods, etc... Any thougts from those of you familiar with doing this would be greatly appreciated. I'm especially interested in comments from the Ford community. That would be the utlimate.

Thanks

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I dont advise it. Both the 6.0 and the 6.4 are extremely sensitive to fuel quality. They need a certain cetane rating to have optimum reliability and performance.

Thanks for the reply. Glad I asked this group of those most in the know.
Just curious what one could expect to happen to the engine by doing this.
The most compelling came from a fleet operator (Freightliners) who had been mixing for about 20 years and only stopped about a year ago due to the possibilities of a fuel check by the Indiana DOT. Their mixing machine was purchased from Cummins, of all people. Have learned this has been done for many years in a variety of equipment with no ill effects. However, I realize too that we're not dealing with the same ole same ole in todays world. Thanks

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
It's fine and dandy to mix WMO in the older IDI engines...there's a huge following for it too. But like he said...these new engines are too finnicky.....

Well...so much for that. Always looking for ways to lessen the operating cost.
Will keep looking and asking. If you guys can think of any that have come and gone over the years let me know so I won't wast any of mine and your time. Thanks again.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Propane may be a possibility.
One word: BOOM!! Propane in a diesel is like NOS in a gasser.

NOS will add O2 to a diesel and help alot, but it's VERY expensive. NOS is a turbo in a bottle.

Propane is tricky to inject the correct amount. Too much and BOOM.

Water/Meth is a decent option. It adds power as well as keeps the EGT's lower. DO NOT go over a 50/50 mix though. I only went 35% Meth and it helped. Also, Water/Meth is just windshield washer fluid. CHEAP.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Diesels aren't my niche lol.....There is nothing wrong with Propane,NOX or Watermeth if they're all administered correctly...but people get powerhungry/greedy.

I was wondering about the regeneration on the 6.4's. How would a water/meth kit affect it? Can't remember which one I saw it on but one of the manufacturers said it wouldn't hurt it. I shopped alot of manufacturers before I settled on a kit. What are your thoughs on it Vince?

blacksnapon

Staff member
You're not going to bolt it on and expect it to work immediately. Theres still programming and hardware issues to deal with. Hundreds of more dollars will still be required. Then, after all of that, if theres a problem, kiss your warranty goodbye!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts