Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1984 F700 transmission?

I'm considering buying a 1984 school bus for the engine and trans for an F600 4x4. Both have 370 CID engines. The bus has a five speed with a CD code on the data plate. I have a 1988 shop manual for medium and heavy duty trucks. There is no CD code listed. It looks like Ford used at least nine 5 speed transmissions during that era plus variants depending on whether a two spd axle was installed.

Can anyone direct me to a source to decode the certification label. Note this is not related to the VIN.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I can't help you, but if no one answers, PM either member Mil1ion or BKW and they should be able to square you away.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm considering buying a 1984 school bus for the engine and trans for an F600 4x4. Both have 370 CID engines. The bus has a five speed with a CD code on the data plate.

I have a 1988 shop manual for medium and heavy duty trucks. There is no CD code listed.
Welcome to FTF

CD = Clark model 285 5 Speed Direct.

Info source: 1980/89 Ford Heavy Truck Parts Catalog / General Information Section / Certification Label Transmission Codes.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. That's a help. I was hoping it was one of the transmissions in the shop manual I have. Of course I didn't get lucky this time from a book point of view. All I'm showing is Clark 450 and 550 series transmissions. But knowing the transmission is still a help.

It's my understanding that the Lima engine bell housings are the same. Is that correct? If so I'm thinking I can mix/match transmissions from any Lima 370 or 429. I'd like to find a six speed OD but the five speed will do.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
D9HZ6392B .. Bellhousing

1979/89 (mebbe later-I didn't look) 370/429.

Thanks again, Bill. Just out of curiosity, am I correct in thinking that I can bolt up any of the six, ten or thirteen speed transmissions Ford offered during that era to a 370?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thanks again, Bill. Just out of curiosity, am I correct in thinking that I can bolt up any of the six, ten or thirteen speed transmissions Ford offered during that era to a 370?
I haven't a clue off hand. I'd have to look up the trannies to see what was offered with these engines.

That's a lot of work, Bill. Don't bother. Besides there's no way I'd consider anything beyond a six speed. Thanks much for the quick response. That's the beauty of the internet. Some folks, like yourself, really know their stuff.

BTW, I have a virtually mint copy of a 1963 truck parts manual somewhere. I think there was three volumes. Any idea what it might be worth?

Thanks again, Darren

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
That's a lot of work, Bill. Don't bother. Besides there's no way I'd consider anything beyond a six speed. Thanks much for the quick response. That's the beauty of the internet. Some folks, like yourself, really know their stuff.

BTW, I have a virtually mint copy of a 1963 truck parts manual somewhere. I think there was three volumes. Any idea what it might be worth?

Thanks again, Darren
The 1957/63 Ford Truck Parts Catalog came in three volumes, bound paper. Last printed in 1970.

Text, Volume I / Text, Volume II / Illustrations, Volume III.

I paid 100 bucks on fleabay for beat to death Volumes I & II, cuz I had nothing, then a year later (8/2008), a local dealer (Pasadena Ford) folded.

I got all 3 volumes plus 100 other bound paper catalogs (all were in FoMoCo binders), 500 microfiche slides, two microfiche viewers, and other assorted jazz...ALL FOR FREE.

I was looking for a viewer, called the dealer when I read in the paper they were folding, spoke with the parts manager...he said, "Why do you want it?"

I told him why, he asked who I was...I told him. LOL! He was the back (shop) parts counter driver/swamper in 1969/70 at Beverly Hills Ford, I was the back parts counterman, taught him the biz.

He said..."Get your carcass over here...you can have EVERYTHING!"

This dealer had been in business in the same building since 1921 and had never thrown anything away.

Last edited:
D9HZ6392B .. Bellhousing

1979/89 (mebbe later-I didn't look) 370/429.
I've never chatted on here or talk to anybody so I'm not sure if this is even going to the right person but it looks like you're a very knowledgeable. I have a 1991 Ford F700 with a 6.6 diesel the motor currently took a crap on me. So I purchased a 6.6 diesel that came out of a 1989 F700. Both Motors are the Brazilian of course. So my question is do I have to change anything with the transmission or should it just bolt right up. The Transmissions were both five with two speed. I don't even know what kind of transmission or brand name it is. I am currently pulling my hair out well what is left. I hope this gets to you because like I said you look very knowledgeable. Any help would be appreciated I really really would appreciate it. Maybe if you can email me at [email protected] that would be so awesome.

Fellro

Staff member
Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. However I can help. The bell housing on that should be equal as they were what were called SAE bell housings which is a common size spec across multiple engine manufacturers.

Excuse me for my idiocy and "terms" the engine that seized on me the turbo setup is different than the engine I'm installing. The engine im installing has a crossover tube that goes over the top of the engine from the turbo. My old engine doesn't have that and is upgraded I guess. I was told to take that setup and put it on the engine I'm installing now? Any thoughts on This? Thanks in advance

Fellro

Staff member
You may have an intercooler which is just a radiator for the air. When air is compressed it heats up, and the intercooler is designed to remove some of that heat for a denser charge for combustion. If this is the case, the turbo will have a tube that goes to the radiator area and another will come back to the intake. I would recommend updating your replacement motor to the current setup if that is true.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts