Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

GM's Finest

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
My wife and I are ib California this week. I'm attending a conference. We were out sightseeing today, and while at a stoplight, I couldn't help but notice the trunk lid on a new Cadillac in front of us. I just happened to have my camera, so I took a couple shots. How is this for GM quality NOT!!

Left side:

212205241-XL.jpg

Right side:

212205287-XL.jpg

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Wow. That is scary. If they skimp on body panel fitment, what else do they skimp on. Makes you wonder...

That's actually caused by the salesman who sold them the car...

They've got him locked in there and he keeps pushing on it to try to get OUT.

Fellro

Staff member
Thing is, if the cnc guys were doing their job, they wouldn't need to match fit, in proper technique, it should be a standard size, not a custom size. The aftermarket does a size fit, so why shouldn't the manufacturer?
Also on the trunk fitment, there is the possibility it has already been wrecked...

The aftermarket does a size fit, so why shouldn't the manufacturer?
Also on the trunk fitment, there is the possibility it has already been wrecked...
In EITHER case. the job was botched on this one. Those deck lids are adjustable, and any number of points along the way it should have been caught and fixed. Even after a wreck, there are ways to adjust and shim that so at LEAST it's EVEN! My guess is, the owner tried forcing it closed with too much in the trunk. You know these people try to take everything with them on vacation!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My dad has a 2007 DTS. It came similar to that, but not quite as bad. The dealership "tried" to adjust it, though I don't think they tried to hard. It looks absolutely perfect since he had his wreck last winter though. The local body shop put it back together beautifully! Sad thing is, it was hit in the front passenger side. They just fixed all the body panels while they had it. LOL

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
Thing is, if the cnc guys were doing their job, they wouldn't need to match fit, in proper technique, it should be a standard size, not a custom size. The aftermarket does a size fit, so why shouldn't the manufacturer?

I doubt that it has been wrecked. A body shop mechanic would spend a lot more time in aligning that truck lid than the monkeys at GM's assembly plant!

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
In EITHER case. the job was botched on this one. Those deck lids are adjustable, and any number of points along the way it should have been caught and fixed. Even after a wreck, there are ways to adjust and shim that so at LEAST it's EVEN! My guess is, the owner tried forcing it closed with too much in the trunk. You know these people try to take everything with them on vacation!

With the Cadillacs (and Lincolns) they have automatic trunk lid closers, so you typically just push it close, then the automatic closer closes it the rest of the way. I would say it's PI$$ poor workmanship like most GM products have!

My dad was one of those "Monkeys"":guns: :hammer: :spank: :fan: :horse: :flames:

Although, back then, he CARED about the fit & finish.
Nowadays they just watch the bots work!​

With the Cadillacs (and Lincolns) they have automatic trunk lid closers, so you typically just push it close, then the automatic closer closes it the rest of the way.
Even so, the automatic closers don't work when the trunk is overloaded. I'm talkin "Mama, git up and set on this thang so it close, willya?" kinda overload!

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
My dad was one of those "Monkeys"":guns: :hammer: :spank: :fan: :horse: :flames:

Although, back then, he CARED about the fit & finish.
Nowadays they just watch the bots work!​

Sorry If I offended you Tom! However, you can probably tell, I hate GM products!!!

My dad worked at the GM assembly plant in Van Nuys California for 30 years. Their primary product was the Camaro, the Firebird, and for a short time a few smaller models. I was raised on the GM label, mostly because of the huge discount my dad got on the new models. Many older GM products are among not only my favorites, but I even still OWN a few; This being said, I still always admired Ford products, and for most of my life, that is what I have owned and driven. I think that ford has always had the better style, as has been shown my whole life by the way they turn my head.
My Father left GM in 85, and while he pokes fun at my vehicle choices, I also have to acknowlege that GM basically paid for my life growing up and my college education.

That's because you have no standard to compare it to on a personal level.

Baaaaa baaaaa black sheep!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
My wife and I are ib California this week. I'm attending a conference. We were out sightseeing today, and while at a stoplight, I couldn't help but notice the trunk lid on a new Cadillac in front of us. I just happened to have my camera, so I took a couple shots. How is this for GM quality NOT!!

Left side:

212205241-XL.jpg

Right side:

212205287-XL.jpg

I know you'll find this hard to believe- but that Caddy is six or seven years old... serious (tail lamps). The DeVille (pictured) and later DTS date back to the mid 90's when... let's be honest... quality wasn't Job #1 with any of the domestic manufacturers. The Buick Lucerne got the new chassis, while the DTS soldiers on with the old one for another year or two, when Cadillac will merge the STS/DTS into one rear-wheel drive platform.

If you take a current GM- which includes damned near anything except that model, it'll compare favorably with anything Ford.... or Toyota... is building today.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts