Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

vehicle Identification

I have an early 60s f-250. The warranty number on the driver's door looks like F250h476766. If anyone can help me,I would like to know the year of this truck. I have been reading in different places and there seems to be contradictions. I used a vin decoder and it said this was a '63 but could not tell me the motor type and asked me to re-check my vin. ' can't find a vin plate. My title (which seems to be from another truck-f10jl543150) says it is a 1964 f150. The front driver's side of the block has 352 on it . Can anyone tell me what I have besides a non-matching title and truck combo. And maybe How I might reconcile them. It needs lots of work and I can't even identify it for parts. Thanks all !

No vIN on cowl

There is no vin on the cowl and I know the title is a 6 cyl f100. Any idea how I can find out what I have and going about making it legal? And thanks for the "welcome."

You need to check for the VIN number stamped into the passenger frame rail. I've been told to look in various areas from the top of the rail near the front crossmember all the way back to under the cab. Of course, that would require some disassembly, or at least some clever frame cleaning, a flashlight & possibly a mirror.

I still haven't located it on my frame, and if you look at my thread, you can see my entire front clip is stripped! Maybe I'll get "lucky" when I pull the cab?

Welcome!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For the WP number, I'm getting a 63 250 2wd.

For the title number, I'm getting that it's a 64 F100 with a 223 out of Michigan.

The best way to go about this was mentioned above, check the passenger side frame rail and that will tell what your truck originally was.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have an early 60s f-250. The warranty number on the driver's door looks like F250h476766. If anyone can help me,I would like to know the year of this truck. I have been reading in different places and there seems to be contradictions.

I used a vin decoder and it said this was a '63 :confused: but could not tell me the motor type and asked me to re-check my vin. ' can't find a vin plate.

My title (which seems to be from another truck-f10jl543150) says it is a 1964 f150. :confused: The front driver's side of the block has 352 on it . Can anyone tell me what I have besides a non-matching title and truck combo. And maybe How I might reconcile them. It needs lots of work and I can't even identify it for parts. Thanks all !
If the VIN on the Warranty Plate does not match the VIN on the registration, this is an indication the original left door has been replaced by a used door.

People replaced damaged left doors with used doors, 99.9% of the time, they did not install the original Warranty Plate on the replaced door.

If the engine is original to the truck, with 352 cast onto the block, the truck could be a 1965, 1966 or 1967. But neither VIN you posted indicates this truck has a 352 engine or is any newer than 1964.

If it has 8 lug wheels, it's an F250, it it has 5 lug wheels, it's an F100. There was no such thing as an F150 until 1975.

The two VIN's you posted decoded:

F250H476766

F25 = F250 2WD

0 = No such VIN engine code. Look closely, it could be a C = 292 2V

H = Lorain OH Assembly Plant

476766 = 1964.
----------------
F10JL543150

F10 = F100 2WD

J = 223 I-6.

L = Michigan Truck Assembly Plant

543150 = 1964.

1964 serial number range: 445,001 thru 580,000. Both VIN's you posted have serial numbers within this range.

1965 serial number range: 580,001 thru 732,000. Neither VIN you posted has a serial number within this range.

The term "VIN plate" does not apply to any Ford truck prior to the 1980's.

Look on the top of the right (passenger) side frame rail for the hidden VIN. It could be partially under the cab, or just in front of it.

1961/64 F100/250's have leaf spring front suspension. 1965 and newer F100/250 2WD's have Twin-I-Beam front suspension with coil springs.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts