Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2005 4x4 Noise Issues

I have a 2005 F-150 4x4 with about 46K miles. I bought it in 2007 and it has always made kind of a crackling sound when running (a friend of mine asked me if it was a diesel engine, so it's that king of noise). It now is intermittently making a very loud scraping sound that comes from under the truck. When I slow down (to approximately 15 MPH) I hear kind of a thud, and the noise goes away. Additionally, I hear popping when I rev the engine in park.

Any ideas what could be causing these issues/noises?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 2005 F-150 4x4 with about 46K miles. I bought it in 2007 and it has always made kind of a crackling sound when running (a friend of mine asked me if it was a diesel engine, so it's that king of noise). It now is intermittently making a very loud scraping sound that comes from under the truck. When I slow down (to approximately 15 MPH) I hear kind of a thud, and the noise goes away. Additionally, I hear popping when I rev the engine in park.

Any ideas what could be causing these issues/noises?
Sounds like 3 or 4 issues. The 5.4 has always been known to have valve train noise somewhat (just a guess on a "crackling" noise). Scraping sound.....maybe rust on the rotors, worn pads, driveshaft shield rubbing. The thud, possible motor/trans mount, driveshaft splines binding. Popping noise....possible exhaust leak.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts