Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 teardown

blacksnapon

Staff member
I finally got to dig in to the 6.0 in the lifted "but bone stock" truck. The more I tore it down, the worse it looked. Drain coolant (less than 2 quarts), remove air cleaner (dirty K,N), turbo vanes scarred and sandpapered, creamy white oil in cac tubes, egr valve wet with antifreeze, oil thick as molasses, egr cooler melted. The oil cooler came out easy though.

Is this a 6.0l at work or one u pick up and fixing for you self. Sound like a lot of work.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have my own feelings and opinions as you know from the other thread, but I'll patiently wait for your diagnosis.

(I bet the bonehead beat the tar out of it and threw proper maintenence to the wind. OK so much for patience. :) )

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So, warranty gonna cover it?

Kinda get the impression you don't think it's as stock as he says...

blacksnapon

Staff member
So, warranty gonna cover it?

Kinda get the impression you don't think it's as stock as he says...
I called my service manager over, asked him, giving him all of my findings, he said fix it! Besides, the customer assured me it was bone stock!:bs: Something about those gas shocks (you know, 2 cylinders per shock) and the VERY expensive lift makes me wonder why he stopped with just looks and not performance.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I wouldn't be able to deal with that and not teach someone a lesson. People who abuse warranty repairs drive vehicle prices up for all of us.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I wouldn't be able to deal with that and not teach someone a lesson. People who abuse warranty repairs drive vehicle prices up for all of us.
I agree!! It really ticks me off. I coulda saved all my stok parts and switched mine back and takin' it in and claimed it was stock and I couldn't understand why there was a hole in the block, but I'm not an a__!!

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i see that just about every day guys. things like that go back to the days of the 60's and 70's when people were renting the hertz edition mustangs and doing a engine swap in the backyard, and returning the car with the slower v8. as long as people can sue and win over burning their lips on a cup of steaming coffee or geting fat by eating fast food, it will never cease.

Kep4

Jäger
"Oil thick as molasses". That's perfect, spend cash on an intake to sandblast the turbo but don't change the oil. :hammer:

I'd bet he never used any fuel additive either. :spank:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I called my service manager over, asked him, giving him all of my findings, he said fix it! Besides, the customer assured me it was bone stock!:bs: Something about those gas shocks (you know, 2 cylinders per shock) and the VERY expensive lift makes me wonder why he stopped with just looks and not performance.

Maybe it belongs to a friend or relative of the service manager!

AND, K&N says they will not be responsible for any damage from the use of one of their products......That right there should be enough to keep people
from wasting their money on K&N products!!!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
As sensitive as Ford is getting about those 6.0's, they've been stepping up and buying a lot of repairs they would have turned down a couple of years ago. I just read a story about the 6.0's in Emergency vehicles (Ford has something like 75% of the ambulance market, and they're almost all 6.0's). The incidence of disabled vehicles (where a vehicle must be taken out of service for 24 hours or more) is up 75% over the 7.3 days. :headbang:

As a manufacturer, Ford basically has two choices- step up to the plate, or send the client an engraved invitation to buy a Duramax next time. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ford Truck Articles