Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

window chatter

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
'09 Ranger, I bought it new at the end of December.

The electric windows "chatter" going up and down. Intermittent, but very frequent. I'm not sure if they've done it right along or not, as I wasn't opening the windows too often in January, but I believe they have.

At the last service, they "verified slight chatter. cleaned glass and lubricated window runs. retest ok." I believe the guy said he used white lithium to lube them, but I'm not positive. Whatever it was stunk the truck up and gave me a splitting headache driving home, but the smell was gone two days later.

Seemed OK for a few days, but today the driver's window was chattering worse than before. Bad enough I "canceled" the auto-down because it seemed like it might be damaging something. I noticed that it usually starts when the window is about 6" down, and that if I stop the window there, there is a LOT (3/8" maybe?) of play in the glass, but my '97 has the same play, so I guess it's normal (?). That truck has crank windows, and they behave perfectly normally.

Is this normal behavior for these damned fancy push button windows? A lubrication issue? Or is there an adjustment somewhere?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
My sister's Denali does this when windows are dirty. If you clean them it stops.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
After many months of putting up with chattering windows and getting blown off by a couple Ford dealers, I finally convinced them that there is a problem with my windows.

New tracks for both sides on order, under warranty. Service manager said the techs had never seen 'em screwed up quite like mine are. [confused]

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
09-22-5 WINDOW CHATTER/SHUDDER

Publication Date: October 26, 2009

FORD: 2008-2009 Ranger

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2009 Ranger vehicles may experience window chatter/shudder when the window travels up or down.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify correct grease amount on the window Run. Open the upper door glass Run attachment slot to allow further forward adjustment.

Remove door trim panel following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05.
Inspect window Run and add grease if necessary using Motorcraft® Multi-Purpose Grease. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-22-5

With window in down position, remove the top and bottom center door glass Run retainer nuts and push door glass Run A to the side. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 09-22-5

Rework the upper glass Run attachment slot. (Figure 2)
Remove approximately 5/64" (2 mm) of material at W and 25/64" (10 mm) at H.
Remove material from the front of vehicle side of the slot. Be careful to not leave burrs on the panel.
Coat newly exposed metal areas with Motorcraft® Anti-Corrosion Coating.
Reposition glass Run A and loosely attach fasteners.
Raise glass to full up position. While pushing outward on the lower attachment. Torque glass Run attachment nuts, tighten to 106 lb-in. (12 N-m). Be careful not to force a different position of the stud when installing the upper nut.
Install trim panel following WSM, Section 501-05-1.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XG-4 Motorcraft® Multi-Purpose Grease
PM-13-A Motorcraft® Anti-Corrosion Coating

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092205A 2008-2009 Ranger: Follow Service Procedure To Adjust And Grease The Glass Run On One (1) Door (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.
092205B 2008-2009 Ranger: Follow Service Procedure To Adjust And Grease The Glass Run On (2) Doors (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hmmm...

If I'm reading that right, they're gonna install some new tracks they don't need to.

Whatever- it's not my job to find TSBs for my dealer to use on warranty work. All I know is that this has been an issue since the truck was new- and it's the fourth time I've asked a dealership to deal with it.

EDIT: I can't rep ya- thanks, Vince!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles