Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Setting My Timing

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whelp! I borrowed my buddy's brand new Craftsman Inductive Timing light and started my first timing check. Removed the SPOUT connector, clamped the front passenger wire (#1 I hope), clamped the battery terminals and fired her up. Shot the light at the balancer and found that someone had already marked it for me, assuming the mark was correct I went ahead and set the timing according to that mark. It spun too fast for me to get a shot of the mark but it looked like this when I started:

startingtiming.jpg

So I unscrewed the hold down not on the distributor and rotated it counterclockwise a bit and got it looking like this:

endingtiming.jpg

Took the truck out for a drive and it has no power!! I got out onto the main drag and gave her some juice, the engine revved up just fine but the truck barely went anywhere. Anybody know what I did wrong?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
You need to check where the mark is. Don't trust someone elses mark. There should be faint stamped in marks on the balancer. You need to set it at 10 degrees btdc with the spout connector pulled.

Fellro

Staff member
Well, I don't know what it is you are playing with, but you retarded the timing. I would venture to guess that little circle cut out to the left is the target location...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Its interesting however, how you got the mark on the other side of the notch in the balancer.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That's not the actual timing mark, I couldn't snap a picture of it with the light on it while the engine was running so I just painted that white line in with MS Paint so you could see where the mark was before and after I set it...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Found the problem guys, I found the marks on the balancer and the existing mark is at 0*, I'm not sure which genius marked it there...

I'll remark it at 10* and reset it, thanks for the help guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts