Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Doing the rear main seal this weekend. Advice?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Andy and I are going to take a stab at changing my rear main seal this weekend. Since neither of us has an engine hoist, and Andy has a tranny jack, we're going to try it from the back side. Just figured I would post a thread ahead of time and see if anyone has any pointers for any part of this procedure, be it the tranny pull or the seal replacement. LET US KNOW! YelloThumbUp

I've already read the procedure for changing the actual seal in two different repair manuals and it seems pretty straight forward. Thanks guys.

andym

Real men are fanatics
My main question is whether it's easier to pull the engine or move that behemoth E4OD out of the way to do this job. We don't have either an engine hoist or a suitable tranny jack. I assume we'll have to use one or the other.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I'm going to guess that you have checked the other possibilities, like the leak is coming from higher up?

My main question is whether it's easier to pull the engine or move that behemoth E4OD out of the way to do this job. We don't have either an engine hoist or a suitable tranny jack. I assume we'll have to use one or the other.

If you decide that pulling the eigine is easier...check with a local tool rental place. We have one here that rents everything from a chainsaw to a backhoe to a power plumbing snake. They have one or more of just about anything you might need.

It was expensive the last time I checked ($20 a day), but that might be easier.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I was looking for specific input on whether it would be easier to pull the engine or drop the tranny, too.

But renting one is a great idea too.

That I have no clue about. You said you didn't have an engine hoist, so I posted where you might find one if you needed it.

As far as dropping transmissions, I have never used a transmission jack. We work in a gravel driveway. :( We slide a piece of plywood under the vehicle and just use a regular floor jack. I think we have 4 of them, so whatever size we need (small truck, car, van/big truck) is what we use.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess it would be personal preference as to pulling motor or trans. Pull the motor, its a good time to replace gaskets as well. Pull trans, time to inspect u-joints, flywheel teeth. I kind of prefer the trans option.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
I guess it would be personal preference as to pulling motor or trans. Pull the motor, its a good time to replace gaskets as well. Pull trans, time to inspect u-joints, flywheel teeth. I kind of prefer the trans option.

Jep this is what im going to do.. pull the engine out do a gasket overhaul.. maybe but maybe.. overhaul the engine to.[confused] .. but gasket change is for shure..

what do you guys think is it time to overhual engine? it has 60.000:headbang: miles on it.. ( it was overhauled before we bought itYelloThumbUp ) but it doesnt smoke and it gots lots and lots of power..:cooldude:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Jep this is what im going to do.. pull the engine out do a gasket overhaul.. maybe but maybe.. overhaul the engine to.[confused] .. but gasket change is for shure..

what do you guys think is it time to overhual engine? it has 60.000:headbang: miles on it.. ( it was overhauled before we bought itYelloThumbUp ) but it doesnt smoke and it gots lots and lots of power..:cooldude:
Don't use a specific time or mileage, Perform a compression test, and a cylinder leakdown test. If you don't have the resources, it is worth paying to have it done just for your peace of mind. Whatever readings you get, then you can compare them to the specifications.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry guys I should have given you the update.

Talked to Andy this morning and we decided we're gonna put this project on hold because neither of us has the proper equipment. His transmission jack is not going to work.

Also, since Goose mentioned that it could be coming from the upper side of the engine I figured I might investigate that a little more before I go to all the trouble of replacing the rear main. So I'm going to make VERY sure that it's my rear main and then worry about getting equipment and getting this job done. I'll keep you guys posted on whatever I find out ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts