Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

personal scan tools

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, who out there owns their own scan tool/code reader? What kind.....are you happy with it? I have a snap-on scanner that I use constantly. It will read powertrain control modules, gem modules, body control modules, trans control modules, this on ford/gm/chrysler/ european vehicles. I didn't see any point in buying one of the cheaper versions. It'll get into the data stream on all of them. I know the homeowner wouldn't have a reason to own something like this ($2500) but what kind do you have?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ok, who out there owns their own scan tool/code reader? What kind.....are you happy with it? I have a snap-on scanner that I use constantly. It will read powertrain control modules, gem modules, body control modules, trans control modules, this on ford/gm/chrysler/ european vehicles. I didn't see any point in buying one of the cheaper versions. It'll get into the data stream on all of them. I know the homeowner wouldn't have a reason to own something like this ($2500) but what kind do you have?

I have been looking for a new scan tool to cover the CAN Bus OBDII enhanced Ford & GM codes including the PSD & Duramax. Both AutoXray & Actron (same parent company BTW), have units for $700 & $528 respectively. The only problem with these units is that they do not read any TCM, ABS or Air Bag systems nor do they allow you to perform command test through the PCM, however they will read OBDI codes.
www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=94
www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16317

The unit that i have settled on and will be purchasing in the next 90 days is made by "Auto Enginuity" and is PC based.
www.autoenginuity.com/products-scantoolpc.html

Not only will the unit read all CAN Bus and Extended OBDII manufactures codes, it will allow you to perfrom command tests through the PCM (ie cylinder contribution test & injector buzz test on the 6.0 & 6.4 PSD). In addition the software is fully upgradeable as new manufacturs protocol become available. It is also the only unit that i am aware of that will currently work with the 6.4 PSD.

The base unit with enhanced OBDII capability is $379.95-$399.95 (depending on manufacture selected).

However, for $600 the unit will support All functions and command tests on Ford, GM & Chrysler vehicles.
www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

For $999.95 the unit will support Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Honda & Subaru. There are add on units for BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover & Porsche for additional cost.
www.autoenginuity.com/dloads/Product_Comparison.pdf

In addition there is a wireless option that allows the computer to be up to 500 feet from the vehicle and still read and perform all tests.

The only thing the Auto Enginuity system is not compatible with is OBDI systems.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
So far, I just count the cel blinks, but I've been wanting to get an inexpensive code reader.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I use the SCT xCal2 to read DTC's. NOT for programming, Nooooooo. It's just for reading codes. :rofl:

I have the "old blue" SCT flasher that reads DTCs as well. No...I do not use the programming either.
ignore.gif

My scangauge also reads the DTCs.

So far (as far as codes go) they have both been completely useless to me. Good thing they have other uses. Not that I use the first one or anything. :angel:

I did read the codes and clear Nerak's truck a couple of weeks ago. [confused]

blacksnapon

Staff member
All of the major manufacturers sell the information to the scanner/code reader companies. The quality of the scanner determines how much you can "see" with it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts