Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HAVING A BAD DAY :( any help ? please?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
a friend of mine Chris.. recomended me to become a member here :cooldude:

at first this moring the truck would not turn over. but nway thats minor compare to what happend this afternoon.

i was cruising to the drag strip at 40 mph.. slow cruising.. and all of a suddon ive got a strong smell of electrical burning.. :S so i looked at my dash and the little red battery light came on.. and the voltage was WAY low just under the N of normal.. i manage to drive it home.. but i dont have a clue whats going on .. :S its a brand new 100 AMP single wire Powermaster alternator.. any one got any suggestions for me? thanks..

blacksnapon

Staff member
On your other post, you said there was no fusible link. Did you incorporate a fuse anywhere? In your regular fusebox, the gauge fuse is usually the one to blow, causing the alt to not charge. Remember, alternators don't recharge, they maintain a charge already there. You have to supply the alt with voltage, before it even starts to work. If your gauge fuse is blown, the voltage to "excite" the alternator wont be there. Just be sure to look for the short.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ok .. where is that fuse? i cheked every fuse under the steering wheel everyone of them is ok

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
nope sir... my alternator.. is another kind. see it says this in the manual

What is the difference between a one wire and a three wire setup?

( i have the one wire setup )

the difference is the way the alternator is switched on. With one wire operation the alternator internaly senses its rotation and switchec it selfs on.
with three wire operation an external wire switches on the alternator. three wire vehicle is as your vehicle original manufacture inteded and assures that the alternator is switched on anytime the engine is running...

THIS IS HOW ITS CONNECTED

DSC00110.jpg

IT DOESNT NEED THAT WIRE ANYMORE SO I DISCONECTED FROM THE STARTER RELAY ALSO TO PREVENT SHORTS

DSC00111.jpg

NEW WIRE GOING TO THE STARTER RELAY

DSC00112.jpg

NOTE: Its been working FINE for 3 weeks untill yesterday

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like you have a GM style alternator. The small 2 wire connections are for the regulator and exciting the alt. The plug in the last photo looks like a Ford voltage regulator plug. The picture of the starter solenoid, has wires behind the larger ones (those are fusible link wires)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts