Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help Engine missing and stumbling from time to time

Shocker

Charter Member
2003 Expedition, 5.4, 140,000 miles

The thing started acting like I had a tank of bad gas. Then it acted as if I dropped a cylinder. but this does not happen all the time. I may drive 50 miles bfore it happens or 5 miles.

Pulled the codes ( it also waited 2 days before a code was shown)

Control Module
$10 SAE J1850 PWM
Stored Codes
P0320 Ignition / Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit

Control Module
$10 SAE J1850 PWM
Pending Codes
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High
P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary / Secondary Circuit
P0355 Ignition Coil E Primary / Secondary Circuit

My book does not show or explain code P0320. Where is this circuit at and how do I check it or replace it.

I am tuning it up and checking all the coils also.

I also have live data save from the test if needed.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
On my truck I believe my engine speed is measured by the PIP sensor in the distributor... But you don't have one so I have no idea... Guess I'm of no help :rofl:

Good for a thread bump though! :D

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Hey mike long time no see.
Check you crank sensor that will cause this code.

P0320 - Ignition Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction The ignition engine speed sensor input signal to PCM is continuously monitored. The test fails when the signal indicates that two successive erratic profile ignition pickup (PIP) pulses have occurred.
* Loose wires/connectors.
* Arcing secondary ignition components (coil, wires and plugs)

Last edited:

Shocker

Charter Member
Hi Smokey it has been a while. How you doing?

I replaced the crank sensor on Monday and it did not help. I drove about 25 miles and it started all over again.

I have 5 of the plugs changed so far. they look like they have been it the truck since it rolled off the line. they also smell like 10 yr old gas. I can not get the socket to go on number 3. It acts like something is down in the hole stopping it from going on. And of corse there is no way to see down there. Number 4 and 8 are just a pain in the a$$ to reach and get the ratch on.

I found a web site that says just what you posted. I am going to replace all the boots when I put it back together.

Once I remeber how to use the ohm meter again I will get all the coils checked. For some reason I can not get the primary restance to read on them and the scondary restance is only showing 1.872 on all.

I may just say the hell with and order a set of Accel from summit. they are cheaper then any part store around here. Till then I will be pulling my hair out, well what hair I left.

Thanks Mike

Shocker

Charter Member
Well problem fixed. Besides the plugs being in bad shape I found #3 coil to be bad. It had a break in the spring that would conent sometimes and not.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts