Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Digital speedo.

I have a 94 F-450 with a digital speedometer, the truck has set for probably 2 years with no batteries in it, It's a 7.3 diesel, I've replaced the steering column, due to the original being broken. Got everything hooked up, , But speedometer mileage does not show anything with the key on or with the engine running, I've checked the fuses. Is it possible for it to lose it's memory after setting so long with no batteries, and is there any way to fix it, I've tried 2 different speedometers,neither shows any mileage. Thank You.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 94 F-450 with a digital speedometer, the truck has set for probably 2 years with no batteries in it, It's a 7.3 diesel, I've replaced the steering column, due to the original being broken. Got everything hooked up, , But speedometer mileage does not show anything with the key on or with the engine running, I've checked the fuses. Is it possible for it to lose it's memory after setting so long with no batteries, and is there any way to fix it, I've tried 2 different speedometers,neither shows any mileage. Thank You.

Instrument Cluster

Federal law requires that the odometer in any replacement speedometer must register the same mileage as that registered on the removed speedometer/odometer. Service replacement speedometer/odometer and odometer modules with the mileage preset to actual vehicle mileage are available through Ford Electronic Service Centers. In nearly all instances, the mileage continues to accumulate in the odometer memory even if the odometer does not display mileage. This mileage can usually be verified by the electronic service centers. Contact the service center for instructions to receive a replacement speedometer/odometer or odometer module with the mileage preset to actual mileage.

If the actual vehicle mileage cannot be verified, the service center will supply a speedometer/odometer module with the odometer display preset to zero ("0") miles and the service odometer segment ("s") illuminated in the vicinity of the odometer display. In addition, an odometer mileage sticker is supplied with the replacement odometer. This sticker must display the estimated vehicle mileage and is to be affixed to the driver's door.

NOTE: The instrument cluster (10849) must be serviced as a complete assembly if it is determined that any of the following components are malfunctioning:

Speedometer/odometer assembly
Instrument cluster printed circuit
Instrument cluster gauge clips
Instrument cluster backplate

Instructions for ordering and handling a replacement instrument cluster are provided in this section.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts