Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 repairs

blacksnapon

Staff member
Lets hear it out there. I am curious as to weather or not the standardizing of fuel quality has slowed the failures common to the 6.0.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Er............I really haven't had any problems with my truck that weren't induced by an inept dealership. Mine's been running like a champ since I started getting mine worked on at another dealer :D

Gunner

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Lets hear it out there. I am curious as to weather or not the standardizing of fuel quality has slowed the failures common to the 6.0.

I have been using ULSD (15ppm) since it became available. I did use a tank or two of LSD when a small town station only had the "old stuff". I use PowerService (double dose) in every tank and have never had a problem.

I have noticed less smoke on hard exceleration due to ULSD fuel, but other than that... things seem to be the same for me.

Still have all 8 original C94 injectors.

Still have stock EGR valve

Still have stock turbo

Running most recent flash with inductive heating

As of today, I have 106,000 miles!!!! :nana: :beer:

On a different note...
On another board, a poster had shown what his coolant filter had taken out and it looked bad!!! No wonder some have EGR, EGR cooler and the like performance issues!!! I think the use of a coolant filter and 50,000 mile coolant flush intervals should be mandated. The use of ONLY distilled water should also be mandated as a way to reduce mineral build-up in the EGR cooler and coolinig system in general.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Beach, you're right about that! The 6.0 has demonstrated that it is very sensitive to variations of maintenance intervals/liquids, fuel/oil quality.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach, you're right about that! The 6.0 has demonstrated that it is very sensitive to variations of maintenance intervals/liquids, fuel/oil quality.

... and lets not forget quality of filters....

After I showed my local 6.0L tech at my dealer the difference between a Racor fuel filter and a "will-fit"... he is now on the look out when working on fuel delivery issues and rough running. Prior to that, it was just looking at the filter to see if it was clogged and maybe not changed on time.

By the way, I always use Racor fuel filters and change them every 15,000 miles or sooner as per the manual (as written in 2003). I tend to change at 14,000+ and never have had a WIFL come on (just drain prior to filter change).

I changed my filter the other week and my "in-town" mileage is slowly creeping up on the overhead display??? I have gone from 15/mpg to 15.9-16.0mpg!!!!

Now, it can either be due to cooler weather and/or the new fuel filter? Use of fuel additive is the same as is where I fill-up.

maintenance ,maintenance, maintenance keeps it running long and hard. 79,000 miles no problem with fuel. I do use Bio mix myself for B5/10.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
With the way my 6.0L is running and all the "new stuff" on a 6.4L, I am more than happy with my 6.0L and still nopt sold on all the new EPA mandates and technology on the 6.4L....

I believe that modding a motor as we know it will cease due to particulate filters, regeneration (less mileage) and the extensive turbo set-ups and the like?

I believe that the days of just thowing on an aftermarket exhaust, turbo, chip or tuner may be coming to a slow crawl... but hey... ith is America and people will always try.

Darn EPA mandates cleaner air, but with lower mpg readings I am hearing on the 6.4L motor.... I am sure glad I have a 6.0L motor!!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
From what I've seen on the 6.4, each is sensitive to speed and load, as far as mileage is concerned. A vehicle may get 9.5 mpg at 75 mph, while 14 to 18 is possible at 68. Teaching a customer to adjust his driving style is next to impossible, however.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I need to drive a new 6.4- can't believe I haven't yet. I do know the 6.0 is sensitive to a lot of different things, and (flamesuit on) doesn't take kindly to mods.

I recently put a few hundred miles behind a D-Max and a new Dodge- Cummins 6.7. That's an interesting comparison- the Cummins feels "lazy" compared to the Duramax. It goes, but takes it's bloody sweet time to spool up. No way do I believe the HP/Torque numbers they advertise. The other surprise is Dodge has come a long way in the ride and comfort area- truck was a 2500 Quad Cab Short box 4X4, and rode fairly decent. Build quality wasn't bad either- no rattles or squeaks, and everything seems screwed together right and proper.

A D-Max will slam you back into the seat if you punch on the pedal, and the response is instant. The penalty is fuel mileage- 13ish now, compared to 18-22 on the earlier versions. This truck could put some one's driver's licence in jeapardy though- between the power and the relative silence in the cab, it's deceptively quick.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
On my 6.0L, the last re-flash made the overhead display more accurate and more sensitive to driving style and load. If I drive with the cruise right at 70mph, I get 17- 18mpg on straight highway crusing (closer to 17mpg). As soon as I go 73 - 75mph, it drops!!!

In-town mileage is 15 - 16mpg on my '03 6.0L.

Some of the magazines have reported better fuel economy on the 6.4L's they have tested, yet most "real-world" people are reporting way less... and less than the 6.0L motor!!!!!

The engineers may have met the EPA requirements, but with active regeneration and all the other goodies.. fuel economy is way down... way to go EPA!!!!

I will sell my 2003 6.0L Excursion with 106,000 miles on her for $35,000!!! She is dependable, runs great and gets decent mileage... and she is just broken in!!!

As well, an Excursion is a collector truck as they do not make them any more... so be the first to have a dependable "family bus" truck with a reliable diesel in it... all for the low "sell it now price" of $35,000!!!!

Not interested... good... becuase I love my truck!!!!
:beer:

I think it's kinda ironic that the burning of diesel fuel in the internal combustion diesel engine causes X amount of polution but, after hanging all of the EPA stuff on a 6.4, it burns more fuel causing less polution....sooooo, I guess more=less?[confused]

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I think it's kinda ironic that the burning of diesel fuel in the internal combustion diesel engine causes X amount of polution but, after hanging all of the EPA stuff on a 6.4, it burns more fuel causing less polution....sooooo, I guess more=less?[confused]

Yep... just my point... confusing huh???

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts