Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new ranger!

So i decided its time for me to buy another toy. 1987 ranger, 2.9, manual, 4x4, 3" lift, 32-11.50-15 tires.

The current problems-
after i bought it, the battery i put in it was weak, and a friend of mine didnt understand that repeatedly clicking the starter on a weak battery wasnt gunna help. So i think its toast, as it wont turn over, and it doesnt help if i bypass the solenoid. Gunna have it checked in auto class.

the truck has been parked for a while, due to the rear end gears being wrong. the previous owner broke the axle, and they needed to get it on the road, and they couldnt find an axle with the right ratio. so its got different gears in back than front. Gunna buy a set of gears for the rear axle and put em in.

electronic 4x4 has issues coming out of 4x4 and low. Partially caused by wrong ratio causing major binding.

has no tail light lenses or mirrors.

Has clutch slippage issues. I believe it has so0mething to do with it sitting for a few years. The pedal is really stiff, and the clutch doesnt grab fully. Gunna pull the trans and see whats up with that.

The good-
runs well for sitting so long. once you pull start it, it will purr like a kitten all day. cant tell if its got much power, because the clutch slips bad.
reletively straight body. only a couple dings here and there.

interior isnt half bad either.

My plans-

right now, after i get a little money, im going to buy a ring and pinion set, get the clutch figured out, get mirrors and tail lights, and play with it as is.

but once summer comes along, heeheehee.

~8" lift, full width 9" and d44 out of 76 f150, tires as big as i can stuff. and if money allows, mild 302 or 351w with a 5 speed and np205

1987ranger.jpg

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Sweet start on a project...always wanted to do one exactly like that...do yourself a favor and stuff a windsor in there...you'll be happier.

Sweet start on a project...always wanted to do one exactly like that...do yourself a favor and stuff a windsor in there...you'll be happier.

definately the plan... eventually lol. it wont happen over night, since im not exactly bill gates, but it will happen. im going to do the suspension first, then the motor

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
He actually put it into 4 and tryed to drive with front and rear geared differently?!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Hmm... I wonder why the Tcase had a hard time shifting... :D

He actually put it into 4 and tryed to drive with front and rear geared differently?!
yeah. He said it went great in reverse, but not so much forwards. only tried this in the mud. the guy happens to be a friend of mine, so i forgave him for his moment of stupidity
Hmm... I wonder why the Tcase had a hard time shifting... :D

definately. although i dont think it is the entire problem. i tried jacking up the rear end to relieve the binding and it wouldnt

The current problems-
after i bought it, the battery i put in it was weak, and a friend of mine didnt understand that repeatedly clicking the starter on a weak battery wasnt gunna help. So i think its toast, as it wont turn over, and it doesnt help if i bypass the solenoid. Gunna have it checked in auto class.

has no tail light lenses

haha a friend gave me some lenses for a great price... FREE

had the starter checked out... works great. i guess its back to looking over my connections, again

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts