Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.0 swap

explorerman

Ford Guy
Pa.
Hi, I'm new to the forums and been searching around the net with no direct answer...I have a 00 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC and its failed and do not want to replace it with the same engine that has numerous things that can fail..I have an explorer with the OHV that I love and have had others and the OHV is more dependable so what I want to do is swap the 4.0 OHV in out of a 99-00 XLS or XL truck and from my understanding it should bolt right to the transmission and frame but what about the wiring? What all would I have to do there would it just be swapping the OHV computer over or what needs done? Please don't try to talk me into a 5.0 swap because with being laid off there is no money to spare for that type of swap and do not want another SOHC in it even though it is more powerful. Thank you all for looking at this long question.

explorerman

Ford Guy
Pa.
Yea I never gave the ranger a thought. If I weren't laid off I would go with a 5.0 swap. But besides the computer to the motor I'm unsure if anything else is needed to convert it to the OHV

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Not to send you somewhere else, but one place that will have much more knowledgeable people in regards to this situation is explorerforum.com.

Yea I never gave the ranger a thought. If I weren't laid off I would go with a 5.0 swap. But besides the computer to the motor I'm unsure if anything else is needed to convert it to the OHV

Besides the ECM you need to be certain to have a complete engine harness and the exhaust pipes from the engine that you intend to use as I don't think they are interchangeable. Then you need to be concerned about the air intake system. Radiator and hose locations and that's about it. I'm sure you will run into more stuff but it should be minor. This would be a good time to install an electonic fan system from a Taurus or other Ford product. It'll be quieter and give a little more hp.

explorerman

Ford Guy
Pa.
Alright...yea that doesn't sound too awful bad..And yes I plan to install an electric fan since the normal fan is just in the way taking a little HP...just going to have to do some searching on what all is involved with the install so the fan operates like normal and turns on and off automatically.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
A good writeup on the electrical fan upgrade (complete with a diagram):
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ford-electric-fan-upgrade-245781/

I've gotta say I worked on a new Silverado last week with the electric fans....sure does make workin' on the front of that engine a breeze if you ever need to.

You could also just look for any newer than 2001 4.0L SOHC...that's when the cam issues stopped. I've heard even the 'stang ones will drop in but don't quote me on that.

Hello, Researching FORD EXPLORER 4.0L Engine Swap

Looking for a DROP-In-PLAY 2000 FORD EXPLORER ENGINE!

Here is a 2000 FORD EXPLORER XLS, with a 4.0L ohv (Vin X, 8th digit), std emis (fed) engine. We're looking for a replacement engine. This is what we have found, If you are looking for replacement engine. Before you buy just know it will only be a direct (drop-in-Play) replacement if YOU 1st determine and stick with your engines Vin code ID Letter. Which is the eight digit letter in the vehicles vin number. Example : Vin and interchange range;
If your engine is a 2000 FORD EXPLORER XLS, VIN CODE X, make and models. Vin # 1FMZU62X2YZC55891. As you see the eight digit is X. Research has shows that the 1999 ford explorer engine with the vin code X is a direct fit for a DROP-IN-PLAY engine exchange. Why because the 1999 ford engine was used in 2000, Vin Code X Engines. If it was a vin code E, then the latter 2000-2001 ford engines were used.

However every one will tell you it will accept a 1998-2000 engine. However you will be looking in salvage yards for motors and they don't track the donor vehicle VIN with the engine. And this will create a problem for you with installation as a buyer if you don't check the Right Side of the engine for the Engine VIN Code Letter casting, embossed on the front area of the block next to and just below the forward freeze plug.

Your 2000 ford explorer engine will be either X or E. To reduce cost ($500-650) You should Stick with your Engines Vin Code Type.

When searching for the replacement engine, You should always provide your vehicles complete identification description; example: 2000 Explorer XLS Vin Code X 4.0L OHV 6 CYL(V6), std emis (fed). Vin: 1FMZU62X2YZC55891, in this example the best motor/ engine is the 1999 ford explorer engine 4.0L, OHV (VIN x, 8TH DIGIT), STD EMIS (FED).

Note: To identify if the engine matches donor vehilces Vin Number this 2000 Ford EXPLORER XLS 4.0L ENGINE casting number is YZC55891.
Yours should be the matching last 6 digits of your vehicles VIN Number.
This is located on the left rear facing of your 4.0L Ford engine.

When you decide on the engine you want, always confirm your choice by requesting the seller provide you with the following:

1. OBTAIN INFO ON YOUR REPLACEMENT ENGINE IE,
Engine Year, ENGINE BLOCK VIN CODE PRODUCTION SEQUENCE NUMBER EMBOSSED ON THE BACK OF THE ENGINE BLOCK,

2. AND THE SINGLE LETTER VIN ENGINE CODE EMBOSSED ON THE right FORWARD SIDE OF THE BLOCK below the 1st freez plug. Also request ANY HISTORY ON THE ENGINE YOU HAVE CHOOSEN.

3. IF POSSIBLE OBTAIN THE DONORS VEHICLES VIN AND RUN IN THIS FORD
SYSTEM PROGRAM = https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp

Thanks for your posting, and good luck, HOPE THIS HELPS,
Archunter

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts