Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking at buying a 1997 ex cab f150 today

blacksnapon

Staff member
He said it doesn't leak anything. Not to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about (cuz I don't). When I'm looking at it, how would I know if the heads are bad?

blacksnapon

Staff member
That one was a problem with the gasket. Back there (just above the starter) would be an oil leak.There is an oil passage close to the edge of the gasket. Many times we would in addition to finding a defective gasket, the head or the block surface would be out of spec. If theres an oil leak back there, trouble is 'a brewing.

If by comfort level you mean the amount of money I have to fix it, then I am the most uncomfortable person you know. I hate to admit it, but I am pretty mechanically dumb. I am trying to figure out right now how to locate the starter lol.

my dad is selling his 97 f250 he doesnt use it cause he uses his company truck for everything i hate seeing it sit out in the yard it runs and drives awesome he wants 2k for it

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
Basically the starter is at the lower passenger side of the engine. Where that circular cutout is is where the starter is. It's pretty hard to tell, but the oil leak would be on the head which is under the black cover.
img-97-0-xlarge.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts