Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

f-350 4X4 front hubs failing

Why do the front wheel hubs of F-350 4X4 fail at 70,000 miles. We had a vehicle's wheel hub run off of the spindle on an interstate and did $6,000 in damage to the ambulance. It was a 2000 model with a little less than 70,000 miles. Now we have a 2004 ambulance with 73,000 miles that has one real bad hub and the other is starting to make noise.

Shouldn't the hubs last longer. Why are they made where you can't lube the bearings?

Has anyone else had trouble with their hubs?

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You say they are ambulances?
If so i think the sheer weight of the ambulance is to blame here...

I would make hub replacement mandatory after say 60 of 65k miles...
Just to be on the safe side.

You say they are ambulances?
If so i think the sheer weight of the ambulance is to blame here...

I would make hub replacement mandatory after say 60 of 65k miles...
Just to be on the safe side.

You may be correct regarding the weight. Both ambulances were at just under the GVW limit.

We are now ordering F 450 chassis for our ambulances.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
That would be my guess then, it seems as if it has not been an isolated happening, which leads me to guess that weight would be the factor. Im not sure how often your suppoed to replace hubs, but 70k dont sound to bad...

Our local shop (non-Ford) recommended replacement using premium hubs. They are $400-$450 each plus labor.

Anyone know if this is an excessive amount for this work.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
are these unit bearings? if so, then the price seems typical. They are spendy.

I just had the hub lock outs on my 2003 F350 4X4 go out. I went to the dealer looking to price the lockouts. Parts guys said it was a common problem thats why they had two in stock. Just one was $295. Any suggestion on an aftermarket replacement? I was looking at Mile Markers but they are just manuals not the "auto and Lock" type but for $150 with shipping for the pair??? It could be worth gettingout of the truck to lock them in.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts