Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mods

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well now that I have gotten out of the diesel world and back into the gas world I am a little out of touch with mods for the F150.

So I am wondering what kinds of mods will yield what kinds of gains on the 5.3l V8. Are there as many issues with modding the gas engines as there were with modding the diesels.

I thought about doing an exhaust, maybe an intake? Maybe squeeze just a few more ponies out of the engine?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Aaron, mods on the 5.4 are pretty easy to come by and they don't have near the side effects that diesels do, but on the other hand you don't get near the horses out of them as you do the diesel. Superchips makes a good chip for the trucks, opening the exhaust up and intake up will help too, electric fan kits and underdrive pulleys will help as well.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
With tax time coming up and a hopeful nice size return I have priced out the options for my truck. Nothing outrageous but hopefully will turn out nice.

1) Bilstein's leveling kit along with new 5100 shocks in the rear.
2) Billet "Mesh" style grill and lower "bumper" grill.
1167410742-52415099.jpg

3) 20X9 MotoMetal black 6 spoke rims.
951b.jpg

4) ProComp AT 305/55R20 tires.
5) AFE CAI
6) Gibson Cat back exhaust.

Lock stock and labor out the door $5001.23

Those do look like great add-ons, but (without rereading the post made when you got it) didn't you get some great wheels already ON it?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
It does have factory 20's on it with pirelli tires. It does look and ride nice BUT with the leveling kit I can put some bigger shoes on it and make it look a little better.

I'm not lookin to build a monster truck but am lookin to toughen up my image a bit :)

When I get ready to have it all installed i will do before and after pics for sure.

Aaaaahh... You seem tough enough in here, bub, but a man's truck is a mans truck, lol. I say if it's what ya want, go for it...
Nice pusher bar would be cool too....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
We feel your pain Aaron. Our old house was smaller, but the garage was way deeper. This house now leaves my truck about 8 inches with front and back leeway combined.

Ryan

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Well now that I have gotten out of the diesel world and back into the gas world I am a little out of touch with mods for the F150.

So I am wondering what kinds of mods will yield what kinds of gains on the 5.3l V8. Are there as many issues with modding the gas engines as there were with modding the diesels.

I thought about doing an exhaust, maybe an intake? Maybe squeeze just a few more ponies out of the engine?

How about dropping a shiny new 6.0 or 6.4 in that F150...........THAT would be one hell of a mod........Definately turn heads, and raise your horsepower..........well, more than likely your torque ;)

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Dang, small garage. Mine fits in my garage. smilietease

Mine WOULD fit in the garage, if my wife didn't insist on taking her half of the garage out of the MIDDLE :headbang:

Gunner

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Are you going for looks or performance??

Honestly a little bit of both. I don't necessarily want to drag race my truck but I do want it to run as good as possible, ie opening up the intake and exhaust.

I like the look of the lifted truck even though some would say why lift a 4x2. Like I said looks is why to me. I do take my truck offroad but not offroading if that makes sense.

I may consider a tuner down the road as I have heard they work pretty well on the 5.4 but that would be down the road I think.

Maybe I will skip the exhaust all together and put on some mean lookin stacks like Storm just did....:suspicious:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts