Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

much difference between 3.73 & 4.10 ratios?

racsan

4xford
im considering a re-gear. i currently have 3.73's and run 235-75-15 tires. im not going to change my tire size any but would like a little more power when towing. will 4.10's be enough of a change to be worth all the effort and cost? if i had a 2wd id just go for it, but i have 2 differentials to deal with. i think 4.56 would be way too deep a ratio, granted i could pull a dead bulldozer if i could get the traction, but then it would probly be floating the valves at 60 mph. i know there was a hugh difference in the farm pickups we had, one had 3.73's and the other had 4.10's but both trucks had different motors and transmissions, so its hardly a fair comparison. if i do re-gear im thinking of putting in a lock-rite or detroit locker in the rear. i want to leave the front a open diff. maybe the bottom line is that i need to upgrade to a bronco or F150. my trailer isnt all that big or heavy (6x10, 1,000 empty, 3,000 gvwr) but it is tall and even though it has a V-nose front, its like deploying a drag cute when above 45 mph. at 55 im getting about 10-12 mpg with only 500 pounds in the trailer. in fact fuel milage doesnt seem to change with trailer load, empty or 1/2 full of oak firewood, it still drinks fuel like a big-block. so would 4.10's be enough of a change to do me any good?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've never driven a dead-even comparison, either...but I have to say that the 3.73 trucks I've driven both felt like they needed a lower gear (either lower first-gear ratio, or lower final drive) to get moving. My '09 (same tire size as your truck) just won't go slow enough for my taste in first gear, and I suspect that pulling a trailer I'll really miss lower gears. Backing one up even more so.

On the other hand, my '97 (with 4.10s and very small tires) screams like mad on the highway. I did the math out once, and I think I'm turning around 3600 in fifth at 65 mph.

In short, I'd never choose 3.73s in a Ranger that I planned to pull regularly with, and would prefer 4.10s regardless of how I planned to use the truck. Regearing both axles is a lot of money though (especially if you're paying somebody to do it for you)...and I'd take a long hard look at the cost compared to buying a bigger truck, or a younger Ranger already equipped with 4.10s before I did it.

Another option might be to buy a wrecked Ranger with 4.10s and swap the axles over...part the rest of it out to cover some of your costs. Probably only worth it if you needed some other parts, too, and knew where to find the right truck.

Last edited:

FTF'er
Maybe locate a rear end from a Ranger or Explorer that has 4.10's and a trac-loc and swap it in and try things out in 2wd to see how you like it. Explorer rear ends can be found everyday in the junkyards around here for about $130. You would need to weld spring perches on top of the axle tubes though, but then you'd have a 31 spine 8.8

Then if you don't like it, swap your old rear end right back in and not much $$$ was lost... maybe sell the rear end and break even? If the new gears work fine, then re-gear the front.

Edit: I could tell a difference in the power our Suburban had when I broke the 3.73 rear and had to run a 3.42 rear until I could find another 3.73 rear to throw in. Different vehicle, but I could tell a difference.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts