Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Gear Ratio in a 65 F100

I need to know if anyone would know what the gear ratio is in the rearend, I was told it is the stock rearend, it is a 9 inch, as far as I know there is no tag on it. The truck had a 240 or 239 6cyl whatever it was with a 3 on the tree.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well, it's hard to say with the little information you have.

If it had a 6cyl there's a chance it was made for fuel mileage, having a 2.73:1 or 3.00:1 gear.

Or, if someone wanted to squeeze the most power out of the 240, they may have ordered 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 gears

There's also the possibility that it has plain old 3.55:1 gears.

Are you sure there's no tag?

It'd be on the front side of the axle, probably on the passenger's side, on one of the bolts.

Is it hard to get it moving (slip the clutch alot, etc) which would indicate higher gears or does it perform well for a 6cyl, possibly indicating a lower gear?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well the easiest way to look is to jack the rear end up put the truck in neutral and spin you tires. and count the rotations of your drive shaft compared to your tire. say if you drive shaft turns a lil bit more than 4 times compared to your tire you got about a 4.10 gear. and thats a good approximation of your gear ratio

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
well the easiest way to look is to jack the rear end up put the truck in neutral and spin you tires. and count the rotations of your drive shaft compared to your tire. say if you drive shaft turns a lil bit more than 4 times compared to your tire you got about a 4.10 gear. and thats a good approximation of your gear ratio

I was gonna tell him that after he said he was sure there's no tag.

You beat me to it...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I need to know if anyone would know what the gear ratio is in the rearend, I was told it is the stock rearend, it is a 9 inch, as far as I know there is no tag on it. The truck had a 240 6cyl with a 3 on the tree.
The Ford 9" rear axle ID tag is located at 5 o'clock under one of the bolts that retains the carrier to the axle housing. Do not be surprised if it's missing.

The AXLE code will be found on the Warranty Plate, located on the left door face below the latch. Post what it is.

AXLE code 09 = 3.70-1 was the most common ratio with this engine/trans combo.

Note: On trucks of this vintage, if Limited Slip was ordered, FoMoCo installed the Dana 44. The 9" with Limited Slip was not available until mid-year 1968.

Some of these trucks also have the optional Dana 60.2 w/Limited Slip.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts