Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 interchange

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Will all the 7.3 PSDs interchange?

There are some small changes, but I am almost positive. the early 99 had a different turbo than the rest. 01's have all the computers / fuse boxes and ect under the hood where as the 02 and 03 have the same wiring as the 6.0 and their computers / fuse boxes and ect are under the dash. I have an 02 frame with a 99 body and other than using the 02 wiring everything is fine. I also took one of my other 7.3's out of an 01 and put it in a 99. We used the top of the 99's motor though. the 01 was a burn.

There are some small changes, but I am almost positive. the early 99 had a different turbo than the rest. 01's have all the computers / fuse boxes and ect under the hood where as the 02 and 03 have the same wiring as the 6.0 and their computers / fuse boxes and ect are under the dash. I have an 02 frame with a 99 body and other than using the 02 wiring everything is fine. I also took one of my other 7.3's out of an 01 and put it in a 99. We used the top of the 99's motor though. the 01 was a burn.

But what about the 94.5-97s? :p

I guess the real question is how bad do you want it in there?

I would be worried about the computers running the pump on the newer ones wouldn't work unless you took the computers and ect with the motor to put in the older truck. Rigging that might me a pain.

I put a 390 in my cj7 in high school. It can all be done...

Last edited:
WOW.. Im a dummy. thats no doubt about the intercooler. that woudl be a big mod possibly needing a radiator chancge and some custom core support work..

94-97s had smaller cc injectors, smaller high pressure oil pump, non intercooled, lower voltage injector drive module, and a larger turbo exhaust housing with no waste gate.

early 99s were basicly a 94-97 motor with a intercooler and waste gate.
late 99s and up had larger cc injectors 120cc vs 90cc, intercooled, smaller exhaust housing (faster spool up) but also had slightly different exhaust manafolds and up pipes too. they were waste gated, higher voltage IDM and depending on the year ford started putting powered metal rods in there 7.3 around 2000-2001+. there not as strong as the 94-2000ish forged 7.3 counterparts.
But yes you can swap parts and motors. I would try to find a late 99-00 7.3, there most desired.

its not too hard to intercool a 94-97 you just get any 7.3 or 6.0 intercooler (6.0 intercoolers drop egts around 100deg more compaired to a 7.3 intercooler but they have plastic ends which blow off the intercooler if you really mod up the motor, also some 7.3s have plastic ends but usually are all alumium)
then get some 2, 6" chunks of 1x1, cut two holes on ither side of the rad support mount the intercooler to the frame using the metal 1x1s on ither side. then ither find some premade pipes... banks,hypermax, ebay has a few makers, or find a early 99 7.3 intercooler pipes and spider (you cant use late 99 to 03 7.3 pipes... slightly different bends, unless you plan on welding and cutting). then it just bolts right in for a factory look.
i did mine last year with a 7.3 IC and hypermax pipes. polished the intercooler so it shines thru the grill
Intercooled002-2.jpg

Intercooled003-1.jpg

Intercooled005-1.jpg

How big of a pita would it be to take a 7.3 PSD and take it back to mechanical injection, Like on the 93 7.3??

Is it pump lines and injectors, or is there more to it than that??

Well the only thing a 7.3 non powerstroke and a 7.3 powerstroke has in commons is the CID. the blocks are different the heads are different, injectors are completly different. 94 and under motors have a higher compression...21:1 compaired the powerstroke at 17.5:1...
It could be done but would be 10x harder todo then to pull the motor and replace it with a IDI 7.3. But I dont know why anyone would want to convert there powerstroke to a IDI.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
They would convert the PSD to mechanical injection because it's more reliable than this crappy HPOP system they use now.....There are definitely manufacturers of mechanical injection kits out there for the PSD's....but to get em you'd have to dish out major coin as previously stated.....

Well the only thing a 7.3 non powerstroke and a 7.3 powerstroke has in commons is the CID. the blocks are different the heads are different, injectors are completly different. 94 and under motors have a higher compression...21:1 compaired the powerstroke at 17.5:1...
It could be done but would be 10x harder todo then to pull the motor and replace it with a IDI 7.3. But I dont know why anyone would want to convert there powerstroke to a IDI.

They would convert the PSD to mechanical injection because it's more reliable than this crappy HPOP system they use now.....There are definitely manufacturers of mechanical injection kits out there for the PSD's....but to get em you'd have to dish out major coin as previously stated.....

Well that sucks, thanks guys..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts