Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

223 6 cylinder

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
does anyone know if a 1951 ford 3 speed trans will bolt up to a 1962 223 inline 6?i am exploring the possibility of swapping the flathead out of my 51 f3 pickup and i am wondering if anyone has knowledge about whats involved in this swap.thanks,kevin

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
At best I'm not sure...

Which 3 spd trans do you have? The light duty column shift or the HD 3 spd?

The cases were different so I think the HD might bolt up if you have the whole 223 bellhousing.

In '51 did the LD 3 spd still have half the bellhousing cast as part of the trans case? I'm not sure if they did. I'll look around my junk pile today and see if I can figure out the answer.

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
swap

tim,i have the heavy duty with the half bellhousing.i would love to run the flathead but i am disgusted with the cracking situation.my machinist swore up and down the block i had was crack free.this is after buying 3 other flatheads.i had the block sleeved and bored over .30 and all was supposed to be wonderful with the universe.assembled the engine and fired it up,smoked for a little bit then ran ok.next day coolant out the right bank exhaust.block is cracked on other side of exhaust valve number 2 cylinder.my neighbor offered me the 6 and i hope it works.thanks kevin:headbang:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Kevin,
I can't seem to find matching pieces in my pile of stuff. I was given an old, early 223 that was in pieces, but the bellhousing that came with it looks more like a late truck bell. It'll take me a little longer to sort out what's here, but I'm not sure I will be able to answer your ? The part numbers aren't making sense............

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts