Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new guy

Hello, New guy here from Arkansas. Im going tuesday to look at a 1948 truck with a extra bed and cab. :) I have been in a bodyshop since I was 15 or so. Got my first truck in 1984 a 1965 ford ranchero. Being in a bodyshop I have worked on everything under the sun. From full blown hydros to rail dragsters. My boss has a 1938 ford truck we are almost done with.

350 4 speed, s-10 rear end, '84 malibu front clip. the cab and front end is done and painted a dupont extreme green. We are hand building the bed and working out gas take issues.;(

We got a offer last week to refinish a 61 Impala for a 52 mercury 4 dr. Its a nice original flat head v8 car runs and drives great. The boss says he gets it the flat head and tranny comes out for a 302 and auto tranny. I can have the flat head and tranny for helping with the '61. It runs great and has just been gone thru.

What to put it in? Well I was offered the '48 for 500 dollars. Looks like a rat rod is in my future. I told myself I would NOT work on cars all day and come home and do it. I have 4 boys begging me to "do it" How can I say no??

smiliepeelout

47ford005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

454 powered cab over we painted and cut glass for. Thats our glass man. I have a few years and grey hairs on him!

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Welcome to FTF!

I'd be inclined to go "kinda stock-ish" on the '48...I'm not a purist, by any stretch, but I do like 'em original.

Welcome to FTF!

I'd be inclined to go "kinda stock-ish" on the '48...I'm not a purist, by any stretch, but I do like 'em original.
Time has not been kind to the '48. Ill have to section the two cabs about the lower hinge area. One is rusted due to being in the woods on the ground off a frame the other a tree fell across.

Im thinking of droping the cab down on the frame. No running boards or fenders. (fingers crossed) the flat head from the mercury.put the gas tank battery in the bed. Box the frame. Probally a s-10 rear end and springs, 3.08or 2.73 gears dont want to wind the flatty up at highway speeds.
rebuild the front end and put disc brakes on it. Maybe a toyota steering sector. And drive the wheels off it.

I HATE doing restorations!!! We only do insurance work and have turned down countless restos. When you do it all day when you get off you dont want to do it at home. This will be a "have fun with the boys" truck remember I have 4 boys who will be driving this thing. hahaha Put your 16 year old son it a truck you have 500 hours in???? I dont think so Tim. hahahah

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
You've worked on some great looking projects there - and it sounds like you know what you've got yourself in for. Have fun with the boys. These F1's are infinitely adaptable and very forgiving.

Mine is nearly stock....but I'm not a purist by any means. Practical takes top billing. I still run a flathead, drum brakes, but with a 9" rear end for 3.50 gears. 3.00 or 3.25 would be better, as the flathead is hitting about 2500 at 60-62 mph. That's with LT215/85/16" wheel/tire combo.

The cab is only suspended above the frame by maybe an inch so unless you channel it you won't gain much drop by sitting it on the frame.

Keep us updated as you go along. It's good to have you here!

BUCKEYE BOB

Florida Chapter member
Willie,you said that you are going to put disc brakes & power steering
on your 48.Why dont you check into a jag ifs it has everything that you need
and you can pick them up cheap.I have a 51 F1 & i put a jag ifs & a 302 &
aod trans.the jag ifs fit perfectly under the frame just like it was made for it.
The jags fit 48-52 from 53 on the aerostar fits them.This is just something
to think about & compare the cost. BOB

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts