Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ranger Update

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
I was on CarDomain, on their blog page, they had an interview with J Mays who is Global Executive Vice President for Design at Ford. He had this to say about the Ranger at the NAIAS:

J Mays said:
Once again, any hope of a new Ranger was dashed: “the market isn’t here for it. Even the smallest trucks, like Tacoma, are getting close to full-size. And smaller SUVs and CUVs are nearly as big as a Ranger. Small trucks have basically been squeezed out of the market.” Mays seemed to chide us for our mini-truck love. “It won’t work. No matter how you slice it.” Can’t blame us for trying!

Link: http://blog.cardomain.com/2010/01/19/j-mays-the-good-stuff-is-coming/

Last year on January 15, 2009 he had this to say at the same place interviewed by the same guys:

J Mays said:
So then to follow up on some of your feedback, I asked him about the Ranger. Mays said that Ford has not abandoned the Ranger, that they are in fact working on a new one, and that Ranger fans “will not be disappointed.” Bronco fans will be disappointed, though, cause according to Mays the Bronco isn’t gonna happen any time soon. Sorry guys

Link: http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/01/12/grea-conversation-with-j-mays/

A TOTAL backtrack! This is bull****! I've seen articles everywhere like the one on pickuptrucks.com or whereever and such, but this is coming right out of the horse's mouth!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
People won't be liking their big vehicles when gas goes through the roof again.

The only real reason I see for bigger vehicles is so people can have a bigger ego.I have no problem putting my 6'2" self in a Ranger,and in fact would rather drive a Ranger than a newer Full-Size truck.Ford killing the Ranger will be one of the dumbest things they do should they decide to do it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I stopped paying attention to the rumors about the future of the Ranger.

I've got enough of 'em for the next decade or so...so until there's actually one sitting on a Ford lot within 100 miles of here, I'm tuning it out.

*FWIW, one of the more "rational" reasons I didn't buy a Tacoma was that I didn't care for the larger size. They added size in all the wrong places, IMO, and not where it really counts- bed length.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
They added size in all the wrong places, IMO, and not where it really counts- bed length.

That is exactly why I despise newer trucks.They made the beds deeper, instead of longer or wider.I don't need a swimming pool,I need a bed that I can throw a toolbox in and still haul as many 2x4's as I want.

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
The industry would be VERY stupid to kill mid-size trucks (ie. RANGERS)!

Ford Truck Articles