Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some help

I have a 1981 Ford F100, 6 cylinder. My problem is that I am not able to start the engine. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor, and recently put in a new ingition control module. But nothing has changed. Can anyone tell me what else to try? I am thinking about the solenoid switch, but don't want to keep spending money on the wrong things. Thanks in advance.

25infic.gif

Do you have spark?
assuming the motor is turning over going GrrGrrGrr (trying to start)
you can take a long screwdriver remove one of the spark plug wires
and insert the end of the wire into the tip of the screwdriver and hover the
shaft of the screwdriver near a grounded part of the chassis or motor
you should see an arc make sure you are holding the handle of the screwdriver
and are clear of the fan and belts
((You will need someone to crank the motor as you look for a spark Arc!))
let's start with that

Got spark and fuel, just got finished tinkering with it again and replaced the ingnition coil.....still nothing but a turning engine. It is just not firing up for me. Any help will be one more thing I can try.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
simple rule of thumb and engine needs 3 things to run fuel,spark and compretion. then they need everything to happen in time. i would 1st go threw and tripple check the firing order for you plug wires. then if thats ok check the plug gap. did anyone turn the distibiter at all?

We have tried turning the distributor, I have a timing light that I will have access to tomorrow. I have not replaced the enitre distributor, just the cap and pin.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
first, find top dead center. pull out #1 plug, and put your thumb over the spark plug hole. have someone bump the key until the air hisses out by your thumb. then take a drinking straw, and put it in the plug hole. now turn the bolt in the damper, back and forth until the piston is at the top, watching the straw raise, and lower. open the dist cap, and see where the rotor is pointing. it needs to point to the tower that has #1 plug wire on it. if not there, turn the dis until it is. put the plug back in, and fire it up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts