Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

no such question as a stupid one

atcJESSEb

Florida Chapter member
ocala
ok what is the diffrance between open, limited slip, and non-limited slip diffs?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
ok what is the diffrance between open, limited slip, and non-limited slip diffs?

An open diff is just that...no traction aiding device. Limited slip implies some kind of a clutch or centrifugal mechanism that will transfer power to the opposing wheel in a low traction situation...and if I'm understanding your question, a non-limited slip would be a spool which locks both axle shafts solid with no differential action. There are variants such as a detroit locker which will lock solid on a straightaway but will provide differential action while going around a corner...or an air actuated one that will remain locked as long as the air pressure is applied to it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Not directing this toward anyone, but I have always wondered about this...

If there is no such thing as a stupid question, what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask a question or something?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

If there is no such thing as a stupid question, what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask a question or something?

LOL Yeah no kiddin I have to call :bs: on this statement!smilieeatndrink

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
To elaborate on Duncans post, limited slip differentials are often called by names manufacturers gave them. Posi Trac, Sure Grip, Limited slip, they are all the same thing, just different name.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Personally, I think you just answered your own question. 'owned'

smilieeatndrink smiliepeelout

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Personally, I think you just answered your own question. 'owned'
Finally!!! I have asked that many times before and have been waiting for someone to come up with a smart reply like that! :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Don't get too excited, I only said smart reply. :D

The saying is "There is no stupid question except the one you didnt ask"

Basicly as someone stated, every question is to learn or gain..

personaly, there are very stupid questions.. when someone asks you, why do engines have "coolant", yes they said coolant.. cmon, common sense, COOLant.. jee, it must COOL the engine

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts